Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Wire - s01e07 - One Arrest - 8/7/2017

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:37 am

IMDB Synopsis:

The squad decide to make an arrest when their taps reveal that the low-rise projects are about to be re-supplied. They get the runner and as planned, let Avon's man Stinkum get away. Avon is convinced there is a snitch in the pit but D'Angelo days everyone is clean. They decide to change their routine which messes up the police wiretaps. Major Rawls keeps the pressure on and McNulty knows he has only a week to report back to the homicide squad or he's out. Rawls is also after Det. Santangelo to either come up with useful information on McNulty or start clearing cases. He chooses the latter but his own way of going about it. McNulty and Bunk make an arrest in their murder case.
Tyler
Owner

The Wire - s01e07 -

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:18 am

A couple of things initially jumped out to me this episode, the biggest one being Daniels ripping up Bird's "before" picture once they got confirmation from ballistics that he was linked to all 3 murders. I understand Daniels did it because he was standing up for Kima, but that is crossing a line. It's crazy that no one at the station was against it, they were all actually cheering for it. I wonder what Lester would have done if he was there, he seems to be the most natural po-lice of them all.

The other 2 things that hit the hardest were Wallace missing from the pits because of his new drug addiction and Bubbles taking the 24 hour sober key chain. I really thought Bubbles was inspired by that guy's speech, but we found out Bubbles shot up that morning and does right after the AA meeting. Johnny owes Bubbles a lot for pulling some strings and getting him out of possible prison.

Stringer and Avon are really close to uncovering the detail. I would have thought Stinkum lucked out by not getting caught, but they were smart enough to question why the police wouldn't even take down the plates for the car. Also impressive when Stringer figured the payphones could be a source of the leak and instructed the guys to use a different payphone every time and never more than once a day.

I was a little confused during the dinner party scene. I think the big takeaways for that are: 1) it cost $500 to be there and someone made a comment about a cop being able to afford that. 2) Some idiot openly admitted to robbing people and selling the stuff in New York. 3) Daniels wants to be major and has to start kissing butt.

The show is doing interesting stuff with Prez. He has once again proven that he is actually really useful while on desk duty. A job that 99% of cops hate, but Prez excels at. As soon as Herc/Carver chased down Stinkum and the runner I knew it was the kid that Prez blinded when I saw the eye patch. Poor Prez couldn't even face him and Herc/Carver didn't even recognize him. Was Daniels trying to offer the kid an olive branch so he dropped the lawsuit against Prez/station?

"ass-ugly knocko in the baseball cap"
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Bird and his gun are connected to the witness murder. Does it also connect to Avon's girlfriend that was murdered, the one that D took the credit for? I think that girl was shot by a gun that was used at 2 other murders as well?
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:23 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Bird and his gun are connected to the witness murder. Does it also connect to Avon's girlfriend that was murdered, the one that D took the credit for? I think that girl was shot by a gun that was used at 2 other murders as well?

Answering your questions will spoil things further down the line.
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:58 pm

A CSI guy told Bunk in an earlier episode that the casing he and McNulty recovered from Deidre Cresson's apartment was a ballistic match for a weapon used in two other homicides -- Taureen Boyd and Roland Leggett (murders which McNulty had earlier ascribed to the Barksdale gang). There was no mention of William Gant though, so either Bird didn't do Cresson or he used a different gun to do it (or Omar is lying/wrong).
Tyler
Owner

Re: The Wire - s01e07 - One Arrest - 8/7/2017

Postby Tyler » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks. I knew there were 3 that were linked by the same gun, but I didn't think the witness murder was one of those. I was confusing myself and trying to link all of those together

Return to “The Wire”