Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Wire - s01e11 - The Hunt

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:08 am

While Greggs' life hangs in the balance, the entire department attempts to hunt down Savino. When Wallace flips, willing to testify that Stringer, Wee-Bey and Bird killed Brandon, Daniels stashes him in his grandmother's house on the outskirts of the city, but he soon becomes restless. Stringer tells Wee-Bey he needs to get out of Baltimore until the Savino investigation cools off, whilst Avon considers his next move. When McNulty and Pearlman try to pressure Levy into giving up Savino, he proves smarter than they gave him credit for. Meanwhile, when the detail's hand is forced, and a series of city-wide raids are ordered so as to appease Burrell's desire for "dope on the table," McNulty goes to see Phelan for help, but is surprised at his reaction. Daniels decides not to raid the main Barksdale stash house, but when word of his plan gets back to Burrell, he realizes there is a snitch in the detail. Elsewhere, Bubbles finds it increasingly difficult to stay clean.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:36 am

Another emotional episode and I haven't taken the time to really organize my thoughts, so I'm going to tackle this by characters, not scenes.

It took over 10 minutes in the episode just to get confirmation on Kima's status. I was shocked to hear she was alive, however, it doesn't sound good for her. I think they said she took 2 bullets and one of them collapsed her lung.

Lester continues to impress me the most out of all the cops in the detail. He shows up to the crime scene, sees everyone is a mess, and orders everyone to get back to their job. No one else even considered how vital the phones are in a situation like this. Him and Prez were also crucial in getting Weebay and Little Man's names. Bunk and Jay also did some real policing when they followed that foot print.

Rawls had some redeeming moments I thought. First when he told the DEA guy off who was dumb enough to ask about their $30k just after an officer was shot. 2nd when him and McNulty first talked at the crime scene. 3rd, and most powerful, when he told McNulty it wasn't his fault and this isn't about him. I thought it was great how he still hates McNulty, but he needed McNulty to know it wasn't on him for what happened.

Have we seen the old white guy commissioner before? He proves twice in this episode that he is racist and possibly homophobic. It was such an awkward scene when he assumes Daniels is the white guy in the group. He also refuses to talk to Kima's girlfriend about what happened so Burrell (I think) talks to her in the hospital. It at first bothered me that McNulty referred to her as her roommate, and not girlfriend, but the more I thought about it the more I'm okay with it. 1) This was 16 years ago, people were not as accepting. 2) We don't know if Kima is out to everyone or just her close friends/co-workers. It might not be McNulty's place to say all this.

Speaking of Kima's girlfriend, that scene with her and Carver was brutal. He didn't even have to say anything and she knew. We don't see the full conversation, but I wish he would have said right away that she is alive at least.

The fish tank scene was absolutely hilarious. D honestly thought he was going to get executed by Weebay, but why? D hasn't done anything wrong. I guess Bodie planted a silly idea in his head and D is weak enough to think that it could actually happen? Bodie said something like "See, you're being promoted already, unless you're being taken out with the trash".

Barksdale crew's lawyer (Levy?) is sooooo smooth. I, like McNulty, though there would be a strong case if they could get the driver to turn himself in. Of course they bring in baking soda and say that is what they were actually going to sell, and he can play dumb about the money/shooting because he walked away while all of that happened. He doesn't even hesitate when they say 3 years. That is nothing to him.

Bubbles was heartbreaking this episode! Like I said in the last thread, he is going to be waiting for Kima all day because his fresh start is dependent on her getting him some cash for a safe place to stay and mattress. It makes total sense he would try paging her. It doesn't seem the next step would be for a cop to beat him just because he paged a shot officer. Shouldn't take more than a second to realize he doesn't even know about her condition. The worst part of all was Bubbles tried telling McNulty he was clean 2 or 3 times and he kept getting cut off. You know Bubbles is going to use that $20 to buy dope.

LASTLY! The detail isn't able to hide the supply house from their bosses, and they are forced to move on it. I can't imagine they have enough to make a case on Barksdale, but this wasn't about finishing the case, it was about being reactionary to a cop getting shot. Carver and Herc looking at each other, not saying a word, and both stuffing the cash into their vests. Come on guys....
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:49 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Another emotional episode and I haven't taken the time to really organize my thoughts, so I'm going to tackle this by characters, not scenes.

It took over 10 minutes in the episode just to get confirmation on Kima's status. I was shocked to hear she was alive, however, it doesn't sound good for her. I think they said she took 2 bullets and one of them collapsed her lung.

Have we seen the old white guy commissioner before? He proves twice in this episode that he is racist and possibly homophobic. It was such an awkward scene when he assumes Daniels is the white guy in the group. He also refuses to talk to Kima's girlfriend about what happened so Burrell (I think) talks to her in the hospital. It at first bothered me that McNulty referred to her as her roommate, and not girlfriend, but the more I thought about it the more I'm okay with it. 1) This was 16 years ago, people were not as accepting. 2) We don't know if Kima is out to everyone or just her close friends/co-workers. It might not be McNulty's place to say all this.

Speaking of Kima's girlfriend, that scene with her and Carver was brutal. He didn't even have to say anything and she knew. We don't see the full conversation, but I wish he would have said right away that she is alive at least.

When I watched this, I was like, how in the world can that douche commish be so insensitive. Then I did have remind myself that this came out in the late 90s, early 2000. I want to believe that McNulty called Kima's girlfriend her roommate as to not out her, if she wasn't out yet. Most of the detail knows, but the top brass may not have. To cover his partner's back, he didn't say who she really was. At least, that is how I took that moment. I mean, I believe there is a scene where McNulty shows up on Kima's door step looking for a booty call.
Tyler
Owner

Re: The Wire - s01e11 - The Hunt

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:07 am

Haha. Yes, McNulty does show up drunk to her apartment late at night. I can't remember if that is before or after he learns about her girlfriend.
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Small correction, it wasn't McNulty who called Cheryl Kima's "roommate," it was Daniels. (After Carver referred to her as "Kima's girl.")

Also, my read on that earlier scene where McNulty shows up at Kima's apartment wasn't that he was looking to get laid, at least not primarily. After Kima turned him away, Cheryl asked if McNulty was "lovelorn," and Kima replied "Worse: lonely." And that scene followed McNulty's scene with Lester at the bar where they bonded some. I think McNulty's frame of mind was "I am working with some good cops who actually care for a change, I should go thank them for operating on my level, and be friends with them" and in his drunken state he didn't realize how inappropriate and awkward his behavior was. And I think if he was making a pass at Kima he would've been more direct given his state of inebriation, but instead he basically just gave Kima the same kind of compliments he gave Lester, albeit with less eloquence.

I admit I could be wrong on that though, and it would also be in keeping with McNulty's character for that to be an attempted booty call. I just never got a sexual vibe from that scene personally. Maybe if Cheryl hadn't answered the door first, he would've gone with a different approach.

But anyway, yeah, it's a sign of progress that today someone like Daniels would not tiptoe around Kima's sexuality the way he did in that scene at the hospital. I don't think there was much real concern about outing her (Kima told McNulty in the earlier scene that she has a policy of openly announcing her sexuality to her coworkers to deter them from hounding her so much) but more about him wanting to avoid any awkwardness with the bosses, possibly for Cheryl's sake.

On a lighter note, this episode is noteworthy for being the source of the minor meme, Wee-Bey's Reaction. His expression there always makes me laugh.

That's also the scene where Stringer seemingly orders the murder of Little Man. To me, that's one of the low key, sort of easily missed moments that really speaks to the character of Stringer and the Barksdale gang... the way he casually throws away the life of one of his soldiers. Contrast that to the response Kima's death is met with inside the BPD. Good cops and bad alike unite to avenge her.

And to me it doesn't even seem like Little Man's actions were really even that bad, at least in terms of amoral pragmatism. Wee-Bey misjudged the situation too in thinking Kima didn't look like the talking type and his obvious surprise that she was a cop, and there is sense in eliminating witnesses before they can make trouble for you. Would the gang really be any better if they'd spared Kima? Yeah, the cops wouldn't have gone full tilt with the investigation of the shooting the way they did, and they wouldn't have done all of those raids... but the raids have actually worked in the gang's favor, strategically.

There is some suggestion though that Little Man has a history of poor judgement and wigging out though, so maybe Stringer's decision also made sense.

But the casual lack of loyalty also speaks to D'Angelo's sense of paranoia. Yeah, he does seem to overreact given that he hasn't specifically done anything wrong in a while, but he does have deepening reservations about the drug game, and he can testify to stuff that would hurt the organization, and McNulty and Bunk did successfully play him that one time with the letter. Stringer probably views D' as weak, similar to Little Man. And D'Angelo was the one who Orlando was trying to sell his drugs through, and Orlando turned out to be a snitch, so there's that too (granted, D'Angelo didn't exactly try to hide his potential business with Orlando). Still, you'd figure that Avon would need something a little more concrete before ordering a hit on his nephew. When the pressure is on, though, D'Angelo isn't always the clearest thinker.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:45 pm

Artukka wrote:Source of the post Small correction, it wasn't McNulty who called Cheryl Kima's "roommate," it was Daniels. (After Carver referred to her as "Kima's girl.")

D'oh! That's why you're the expert. Good catch.

Artukka wrote:Source of the post I admit I could be wrong on that though, and it would also be in keeping with McNulty's character for that to be an attempted booty call. I just never got a sexual vibe from that scene personally. Maybe if Cheryl hadn't answered the door first, he would've gone with a different approach.

I really like your take on that drunk midnight drop by. I'll subscribe to that theory

Artukka wrote:Source of the post On a lighter note, this episode is noteworthy for being the source of the minor meme, Wee-Bey's Reaction. His expression there always makes me laugh.

HAHA. That is great.

Artukka wrote:Source of the post That's also the scene where Stringer seemingly orders the murder of Little Man.

My wife and I talked about this. "wait....are they going to kill Little Man?" You're right, the way he casually tells Wee-Bey to take care of it could be missed. I actually thought the fishfood scene with D and Wee-Bey would be Bey asking for D's help in moving the body. I guess we will never see Little Man again? Honestly, I had to Google image Little Man during the episode and I don't remember seeing him in the show.
Tyler
Owner

Re: The Wire - s01e11 - The Hunt

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Big thing I forgot to mention, there is a rat in the team. Someone told the bosses that Daniels wasn't giving up the stash house. We know Santiago (sp) was narking on McNulty to Rawls, but I don't think he's the one giving this information
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Santangelo, yeah, and he was a pretty half-hearted snitch at that. McNulty complained at one point about how Santy was always in the wind and he'd cover for him with Daniels... Santy was likely deliberately avoiding McNulty so he wouldn't have anything to give to Rawls. On the other hand, slipping the bosses details about the investigation might sit easier with one's conscience than being asked to outright backstab a fellow detective.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Barksdale crew's lawyer (Levy?) is sooooo smooth.

I also liked his court scene in an earlier episode, where they sprung Bodie. He spins all of this bullshit about how Bodie was drugged when he escaped juvie, how he's enrolled in a GED program, etc. and at one point they cut to Bodie and his expression is like "Huh! Yeah, that's a good story... I can see why the judge would buy this."

But during Savino's proffer session, everyone recognized the bullshit for what it was... which allowed Levy to turn the smug up to 11. He has this expression towards the end of the scene where he's just basking in horrible self-satisfaction. If you didn't empathize with McNulty when he threw his tantrum in Levy's office (and in the street after with Ronnie) then you probably can after seeing Levy pull that nonsense.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:07 am

Artukka wrote:Source of the post Small correction, it wasn't McNulty who called Cheryl Kima's "roommate," it was Daniels. (After Carver referred to her as "Kima's girl.")

Also, my read on that earlier scene where McNulty shows up at Kima's apartment wasn't that he was looking to get laid, at least not primarily. After Kima turned him away, Cheryl asked if McNulty was "lovelorn," and Kima replied "Worse: lonely." And that scene followed McNulty's scene with Lester at the bar where they bonded some. I think McNulty's frame of mind was "I am working with some good cops who actually care for a change, I should go thank them for operating on my level, and be friends with them" and in his drunken state he didn't realize how inappropriate and awkward his behavior was. And I think if he was making a pass at Kima he would've been more direct given his state of inebriation, but instead he basically just gave Kima the same kind of compliments he gave Lester, albeit with less eloquence.

I admit I could be wrong on that though, and it would also be in keeping with McNulty's character for that to be an attempted booty call. I just never got a sexual vibe from that scene personally. Maybe if Cheryl hadn't answered the door first, he would've gone with a different approach.

I could see that. McNulty is extremely lonely and in a very dark place, wanting to seek out some kind of friendship. Like you stated, I took it as a character flaw that he knocks on women's doors for booty calls. His former squeeze, the assistant DA, pretty much has shut him down. Maybe both versions are true though... many times, when drunk, you mistake genuine 'friend' feelings as somethign more than they are. He could have felt a connection, a bond with Kima, and was acting on his feelings. Instead of growing or acting mature, he reacts in a very primal way. Anyway, its funny he gets shot down.

Return to “The Wire”