Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Wire - s01e11 - Cleaning Up

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:53 am

Kima slowly recovers in hospital. Stringer changes operations in the pit and the towers, rendering the wiretaps and clones useless, and prompting Burrell to begin dismantling the detail. Avon and Stringer meet Levy to discuss where their organization is vulnerable. Unbeknownst to the detail, Wallace returns to the pit to resume work. When Prez starts pulling political campaign finance reports, Pearlman is called to a meeting with a worried State's Attorney, and an angry Clay Davis confronts Daniels. Meanwhile, Stinger issues a difficult order to Bodie and Poot. With Shardene's help, the detail are able to install a camera in the strip club.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:11 am

Wallace!!! NO!! That was brutal, even worse that Bodie couldn't finish it so Poot had to. What was Wallace thinking coming back?! I am guessing he wouldn't have testified in court since he wanted back in with his crew, but he also had to have known how bad it looked that he bailed right after Omar's boyfriend was killed and then come back.

We all knew Levy was a scummy lawyer, but I didn't know he was so dirty. He gave Avon/Stringer names of people that could be used in court and basically said they had to be killed. I think it was this conversation that Wallace was brought up again. Question though, they only talked about a few key people that could tie Avon and Stringer back to everything, but what about all of the people they caught last episode? They did a raid on the drug house, multiple stashes, etc. They aren't worried about any of those dozens of people talking? The driver involved with Kima's shooting took 3 years instead of speaking up, but these criminals who were busted with all of the drugs will face a lifetime in prison. No one is worried about them snitching?

Building off of that thought, I want to confirm why only Avon is taken at the end of the episode and not Stringer. They have hard evidence on Avon and not Stringer? Weren't they both caught on camera talking about going to NY to get drugs? I can't image they have NOTHING on Stringer without Wallace's testimony.

I was really happy to see D trying to protect Wallace, even though it didn't work. D loved that kid and Stringer likely just gave D a reason to flip sides.

We meet D's mom and she comes off as such a nice lady, even bringing her son some dinner. Later we see that she is on Avon's payroll and she doesn't want D to snitch because it means giving up her comfortable life.

Daniels is turning into such a badass. "You'd rather live in shit than let the world see you work a shovel". He wants justice to be served and he is tired of people getting in his way.

Closing thoughts, I wasn't expecting the detail to catch Avon so quickly. Yes, it took 12 episodes, but so much seemed to have happened during the last 2. The detail is even starting to break up. I assume the finale just shows Avon gets locked up and Bell takes over? Maybe Bell will be the big bad for s02?
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Did you catch how at the end of the last episode Wallace and Poot were on the wire arranging Wallace's return to Baltimore? Prez didn't either -- in fact he marked the call non-pertinent, repeating the very first mistake he made and was lectured on when the wire first went live. Prez has learned some lessons over the course of the season but he still has yet to master Lester's holistic "all of the pieces matter" philosophy and as a result, Wallace lost his life.

And yeah, I never thought much about how they didn't get anything apart from "dope on the table" from the raids. My guess is that it might be difficult to get a major charge to stick on someone if just about the only thing you have on them to make a case is that they were present at a stash house during a raid. They didn't watch the main stash long enough to learn any names, the hierarchy, etc. Still, just being there had to be a parole violation for a lot of those guys which in some cases could mean some serious time, plus they did have the guy Sydnor followed taking a re-up order on the wire. It also wouldn't surprise me though if they had someone very loyal with a relatively clean sheet ready to take as much responsibility as possible to shield everyone else, similar to the practice of having juveniles handle most of the transactions on the street.

Still, the show probably should've at least shown someone on the detail taking a run at them and coming up empty or just getting more scraps, but since things are moving fast now I can understand why they wouldn't want to spend too much time portraying a dead end.

In the scene where Avon told D' to do the resupply run, it was only the two of them in the room (you were probably thinking about the earlier scene where they asked D' about Wallace). And that was pretty much the only business they did in the office after the bug was installed, so yeah, they don't have anything concrete on Stringer anymore. It is looking like he will take over the organization going forward but there's still another episode left in the season so some reversals are possible.

And yes, Daniels is pretty awesome in this episode. He also had that nice moment earlier on where he was asked who he wanted to send back and he had the smarts to keep his mouth shut. Burrell thinks he's sticking it to Daniels by making him send back Sydnor and the mostly useless Santangelo, and letting him keep "the pawnshop detective and Valchek's brain dead son-in-law" ... when Freamon is the one who has been pushing hardest for the detail to follow the money trail, and Prez has taken so well to that side of the job.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:48 am

Artukka wrote:Source of the post Did you catch how at the end of the last episode Wallace and Poot were on the wire arranging Wallace's return to Baltimore?

Good call. I do remember that and I should have started calling Wallace an idiot last episode. He had to have known nothing good was going to come from him returning.
Artukka wrote:Source of the post In the scene where Avon told D' to do the resupply run, it was only the two of them in the room (you were probably thinking about the earlier scene where they asked D' about Wallace). And that was pretty much the only business they did in the office after the bug was installed, so yeah, they don't have anything concrete on Stringer anymore.

Yep, I was getting the scenes crossed in my head. That makes sense.
Artukka wrote:Source of the post And yes, Daniels is pretty awesome in this episode. He also had that nice moment earlier on where he was asked who he wanted to send back and he had the smarts to keep his mouth shut. Burrell thinks he's sticking it to Daniels by making him send back Sydnor and the mostly useless Santangelo, and letting him keep "the pawnshop detective and Valchek's brain dead son-in-law" ... when Freamon is the one who has been pushing hardest for the detail to follow the money trail, and Prez has taken so well to that side of the job.

That was great! Daniels was coming out way better in that deal. I thought maybe people were starting to take notice of Lester since he proved how useful he was by finding the Fanta soda can after Kima was shot and traced it back to the gunman. People were impressed with him then and asked where he had been working. I'm glad Burrell didn't get wind of that.

Return to “The Wire”