Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Wire - s01e13 - Sentencing

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:00 am

The detail has enough information to arrest Avon and many of his people, but, with Wallace dead, they are unable to bring a charge against Stringer, who is left on the street. However, disgusted that Avon and Stringer had Wallace killed, D'Angelo flips on the entire organization, giving the detail more information than they ever expected. As Daniels figures out who the snitch is in the unit, Herc is shocked when he is passed over for promotion in favour of Carver, who scored lower on the sergeant's exam. In Philadelphia, Wee-Bey is arrested and gladly admits to murder after murder. Finally figuring out why Avon has been buying vacant properties in the city, Daniels, McNulty, Freamon and Pearlman take their evidence of political involvement to the FBI. Meanwhile, D'Angelo's mother, Brianna, attempts to convince him to stand with the family.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:30 am

Satisfying wrap up to the season. Nothing earth shattering happened, but it left you with a good understanding of where most of the characters ended up. I would guess this episode was written in a way it could ask as the series finale if it wasn't renewed. I can't settle on a format for discussing this show. Does it make sense to talk about the episode beats or the characters? Here are my unorganized feedback/questions.

Episode starts with Kima being awake. Kima is good po-lice in that she didn't identify Bey, even though Bunk tried forcing it on her. She wants to play this by the books. I agree with the characters who talk crap about McNulty for not visiting Kima earlier. This isn't about McNulty and how guilty he feels, this is about supporting a fellow officer who almost died.

The detail wants to get the Feds involved, but they only deal with terrorism and corruption. Daniels/McNulty let the cat out of the bag that this case has political corruption. This backfires for so many reasons.

A lot happens with the Barksdale crew this episode, but the key things are:
-D told the cops everything, but his mommy manipulated him to retract it all and keep silent
-Avon is going to be locked up a max of 2 years since he has no priors
-D is going to be locked up for decades?
-Bey is taking credit for all the killings. He has life regardless, so might as well say he did them all so his crew doesn't get attached to them
-Stringer gets off with nothing
-Poot/Bodie seem to be taking over for D in the pits. He is now teaching the new guys the same thing D taught me.
-All in all, nothing changed. They took some drugs and guys off the streets, but the crew just reorganized and is right back at it.

Herc and Carver. Were they the same rank throughout this season? I thought only Herc passed the exam, especially since he was telling Carver to call him "sir". It seems Herc wasn't picked for the promotion though and other people got it ahead of him, but still he was mentoring cops later? Hilarious too that he is preaching words to them that he doesn't even practice himself. I also didn't think Carver passed the test, but he is shown getting a promotion and Daniels talks about him leading 11 police in the future. We also learned that Carver was the snitch for the higher ups.

Lester has taken McNulty's position? It seems like him and Bunk are now partners.

Nice callback to episode 1 and the conversation McNulty had early on with Lester. "they are going to ask you where you don't want to go, and they are going to put you there". We know that McNulty hates the docks, so why did he tell Rawls that if he knew Rawls was going to put him there anyways?

Bubbles :( That was heartbreaking "don't tell her". If only McNulty would have listened to him.

Prez had a lot of good growth. Will he do something dumb on purpose just to make sure he is stuck inside where he can actually be useful?

I'm really curious where s02 goes. I feel invested in these characters but have been tipped off not all of the seasons follow the same group as closely.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:36 am

Tyler wrote:-All in all, nothing changed. They took some drugs and guys off the streets, but the crew just reorganized and is right back at it.

This is a common theme through out the whole series. The players change but the game never does.

Tyler wrote:Nice callback to episode 1 and the conversation McNulty had early on with Lester. "they are going to ask you where you don't want to go, and they are going to put you there". We know that McNulty hates the docks, so why did he tell Rawls that if he knew Rawls was going to put him there anyways?

Who said McNulty told them where he didn't want to go? McNulty isn't stupid.
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:36 pm

The parole board will have people like Rhonda and others reminding them that Avon was the kingpin and that a cop was shot while investigating him, so he should have a somewhat rougher time getting out early as compared to someone with a similar rap sheet. Of course with the likes of Avon (and Levy) you can't be too confident about that.

And yeah, D'Angelo got hit hard. It's unlikely he'd have to serve his full 20 year sentence, but even in the most hopeful scenario, his infant son will probably be around Wallace's age by the time he gets out.

I think Bodie is in charge of one of the project towers (so quite a promotion for him) while Poot is in charge of the Pit.

Also, Santangelo was busted down from Homicide to patrol; it seems Rawls didn't honor his deal. To be fair, Santy didn't seem like a great detective and it helped make room for Lester in Homicide you can't complain about it too much. And it looks like that's not the only thing that went right for Freamon, judging by his interactions with Shardene this episode.

And yeah, Wee-bey the pragmatist is trying to cop to William Gant's murder but it's possible that won't stick since the physical evidence doesn't match up and their case against Bird is pretty strong. Note that the guy who takes Bey's lunch order this episode, Det. Ed Norris, is played by former Baltimore Police Commissioner Ed Norris (and is also a convicted felon). In the earlier episode, The Hunt, Norris is the guy who gets mistaken for Lt. Daniels by the clueless/racist commissioner. I meant to remark on that earlier.

Regarding Herc and Carver, yeah, they were both the same rank. Herc scored pretty well on the test while Carver kind of bombed it but I don't know if it was a pass/fail kind of thing -- instead it seemed like they posted a list of how well everyone did relative to each other. Herc assumed that with his high score he'd be making sergeant and prematurely tried to rub Carv's face in it. The fact that Herc got passed over in favor of a few other guys could be because those guys were better "leadership material" (a pretty low bar to clear) but in Carver's case it's because he snitched for Burrell (there's that bit in the montage that shows Carver's promotion ceremony and there's that lingering salute between Burrell and Carv).

We also saw that Daniels got passed over for that opening for Major (the job went to Prez's old boss from Auto) that Burrell tried teasing/tempting him with a couple times. No big surprise there as Daniels didn't go for the carrot.

Kima is still in the hospital at the season's close and she's getting a lot of pressure from her girlfriend to quit. You noted earlier that you expected that Kima would die, and the way the season was originally scripted that was indeed the plan. But since they didn't kill her you can probably guess that she'll be back on the job eventually.

The show often does the thing in this episode where they have one character repeat verbatim something someone else sad earlier in the story. Some of the "X is the new Y, the more things change the more they stay the same" bits are a little on the nose, but the heavy handedness of it is a conceit that's pretty much exclusive to the finales.

Any idea when you'll be starting on the second season? It's kind of the dark horse season of The Wire. It had the highest ratings of any season of the show while it aired, but people watching the series for the first time often don't seem to care for it as much as the first season or the third and fourth.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:07 pm

Artukka wrote:Source of the post judging by his interactions with Shardene this episode.

Good call! I think it was the previous episode where Daniels was going to take Wallace home and Lester was offering his home for Shardene.
Artukka wrote:Source of the post I think Bodie is in charge of one of the project towers (so quite a promotion for him) while Poot is in charge of the Pit.

That makes sense, I was wondering where Bodie was during Poot's scene. Huge promotion for sure, but Stringer doesn't have much of a choice since all of his men are locked up.
Artukka wrote:Source of the post . Herc scored pretty well on the test while Carver kind of bombed it but I don't know if it was a pass/fail kind of thing

The podcast I listened to today said that Herc scored better, but both of them passed the test. They said it was barely mentioned an episode ago. So even though Carver scored worse, he got a promotion for being a snitch to the bosses.
Artukka wrote:Source of the post We also saw that Daniels got passed over for that opening for Major

Thanks, I forgot to mention this. Was also shocking to see Daniels and his wife openly talk about how he was once dirty. We still don't know all of the details, but I have start believing it now.
Artukka wrote:Source of the post Det. Ed Norris, is played by former Baltimore Police Commissioner Ed Norris (and is also a convicted felon). In the earlier episode, The Hunt, Norris is the guy who gets mistaken for Lt. Daniels by the clueless/racist commissioner. I meant to remark on that earlier.

You are the human wiki page for this show.

Artukka wrote:Source of the post Any idea when you'll be starting on the second season?

The wife and I plan on keeping with 1 episode a week. It may be harder to stick with that since the fall TV season has officially kicked off, but most weeks we should be able to do it.
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:43 pm

Out of curiosity, did you ever buy that D'Angelo killed Deidre?
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: The Wire - s01e13 - Sentencing

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Artukka wrote:Out of curiosity, did you ever buy that D'Angelo killed Deidre?
Absolutely not. Bodie didn't believe the story and neither did I. I wish we could have seen D kill that person in self defense from the pilot court case. I find it hard to believe he even has that in him. I'm sure he was freaking out and wasn't cool and collective like Bey would have been.

S02 update. It's conference week for my wife who is a teacher. We might not be starting the season until need week because of that.

Return to “The Wire”