Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Handmaid's Tale - s02e13 - The World

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:27 am

Serena and the other Wives strive to make change. Emily learns more about her new Commander. Offred faces a difficult decision.

I had to look up the IMDB rating of this episode because I'm really torn on it. I thought the entire episode was great...up until the ending. I was curious if the last 15 seconds of the episode would ruin the ratings or not, but it currently sits as the 3rd highest rated episode of the series. The ending upset me, but didn't leave me raged like it did to Jocelyn and Wilkins.

Let's get right to the ending. What the heck June?!?! I totally understand June feels she needs to stay for her older daughter, but she needs to look past the emotional instinct and be reasonable. In an airplane emergency you need to put your own oxygen mask on before you help your kids, because if you pass out you aren't any good to anyone. June has to know as soon as she is caught she will be executed (she won't be since she is the star of the show, but that would be a possibility to her otherwise) or locked up for life. At least she knows her daughter is with a safe and loving family. Leave her with those people until you leave and form a plan to get her back. Not to mention, everyone who helped June escape will likely be caught and punished. If she returns, then some of their risk was for nothing. Getting the baby out is still great, but they wanted the baby and her mother to leave together.

Rita is a super star. She was asked to be the godmother of the baby and felt horrible she didn't try to help Nick's kid wife. I assume the scene where Fred couldn't find Rita to make the tea, she was actually organizing all of this or burning a house down, which means she did everything very quickly. She could have played things a little cooler though. Fred instantly knew what happened when he asked Rita about the fire.

Has Serena completely redeemed herself? She rallied a group of concerned mothers, she stood up to the men, lost a finger trying to do what's "best" for the girls, and gave June her baby back. Huge growth in a single episode.

I'm a little annoyed that Fred is willing to take the finger of his wife but won't do anything to June when she slaps him and tells him to fug off. Why is he that infatuated with her?
Will Fred even have a job in office next season?!
-Wife read the bible in front of everyone
-Your driver's wife ran off with a guard
-Your handmaid has escaped twice

I wish Nick would have just shot Fred and then left with June! How will he not be locked up or killed for threatening his commander like that?

I'm so happy that Commander Lawrence ended up being a decent dude, but I'm frustrated with how he revealed that to Emily. He should have seen Emily was damaged and should have explained his plan to her right away, instead of stringing her along so she assumes the worst. Do we think Aunt Lydia is dead? I wouldn't be surprised if she made an appearance again. I wonder if you rewatched the scenes with his wife if they would play differently. She does seem insane, but I think she probably knew what her husband was doing. "Nice knowing you" was probably her saying good luck on the other side.

Was nice learning a little bit about Eden after her death. Reading the bible and writing in it. She was rebellious in her own way. It was so sad that her own family turned her in.

Did June tell Emily to call the baby Nichole? I think she did, but it didnt register at the time.

My fear for this show:
I have read they want to go 10 seasons on this show. I am scared they are going to get stuck in some loops and drag this stuff out waaaaay to long. I would love to hear they are doing 4-5 tight seasons and that is it.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:34 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I had to look up the IMDB rating of this episode because I'm really torn on it. I thought the entire episode was great...up until the ending. I was curious if the last 15 seconds of the episode would ruin the ratings or not, but it currently sits as the 3rd highest rated episode of the series. The ending upset me, but didn't leave me raged like it did to Jocelyn and Wilkins.

This was easily the worst episode of the series for me.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post et's get right to the ending. What the heck June?!?! I totally understand June feels she needs to stay for her older daughter, but she needs to look past the emotional instinct and be reasonable. In an airplane emergency you need to put your own oxygen mask on before you help your kids, because if you pass out you aren't any good to anyone. June has to know as soon as she is caught she will be executed (she won't be since she is the star of the show, but that would be a possibility to her otherwise) or locked up for life. At least she knows her daughter is with a safe and loving family

Yeah, good thing she knew exactly where the summer home of her kid was, and could enlist help. Now that knowledge is completely lost.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Has Serena completely redeemed herself? She rallied a group of concerned mothers, she stood up to the men, lost a finger trying to do what's "best" for the girls, and gave June her baby back. Huge growth in a single episode.

No, this was more selfish shit from her. Yeah, sure she may have finally voiced the concerns of the other mothers, but she only raised this concern after she f'd half of the established world, after others were willing to stand by her side, and when she thought her husband would shield her from consequences. Oh, this shitty law I enacted is finally affected me...eww, better change that.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post I'm a little annoyed that Fred is willing to take the finger of his wife but won't do anything to June when she slaps him and tells him to fug off. Why is he that infatuated with her?
Will Fred even have a job in office next season?!
-Wife read the bible in front of everyone
-Your driver's wife ran off with a guard
-Your handmaid has escaped twice

I figured for sure Fred was going to die this season to be honest.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post I wish Nick would have just shot Fred and then left with June! How will he not be locked up or killed for threatening his commander like that?

Plot armor.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post She does seem insane, but I think she probably knew what her husband was doing. "Nice knowing you" was probably her saying good luck on the other side.

She was mad at him for risking his life to save the women maybe?
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Did June tell Emily to call the baby Nichole? I think she did, but it didnt register at the time.

Yes, and I don't understand this.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:35 am

I will say, the whole time I was watching this episode, and looking at how the handmaids were acting, I couldn't help but notice that the majority of things they were doing, just walking, talking, talking to commanders etc. Almost all of those offenses would have gotten them killed season 1, but it seems normal now.

Are they slowly changing the attitudes?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:42 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I will say, the whole time I was watching this episode, and looking at how the handmaids were acting, I couldn't help but notice that the majority of things they were doing, just walking, talking, talking to commanders etc. Almost all of those offenses would have gotten them killed season 1, but it seems normal now.

I've noticed this over the course of the show too. The handmaids use to NEVER talk to each other unless about the weather or God. When Fred was in the hospital and Serena was doing his work, did something get passed that loosened some of the oversight?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:43 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I will say, the whole time I was watching this episode, and looking at how the handmaids were acting, I couldn't help but notice that the majority of things they were doing, just walking, talking, talking to commanders etc. Almost all of those offenses would have gotten them killed season 1, but it seems normal now.

I've noticed this over the course of the show too. The handmaids use to NEVER talk to each other unless about the weather or God. When Fred was in the hospital and Serena was doing his work, did something get passed that loosened some of the oversight?

I think it's more that 1) the handmaids realize they can't do much to them, unless its very severe and 2) the guards don't WANT to enforce it (maybe).

Return to “The Handmaid's Tale”