Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Handmaid's Tale - s02e01 - June

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:08 am

Offred reckons with the consequences of a dangerous decision while haunted by memories from her past and the violent beginnings of Gilead.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:45 am

We only had time to watch the first episode last night. Holy cow, this show can be brutal to watch. Jocelyn had to leave the room or turn away a few times because of what the girls were being put through (and June cutting her ear).

Let's get into it!

The hanging scene was intense. I knew there was no way they would be hung, but that scene went on forever. Very sick that they did a 2inch drop to mess with the girls even more. Pregnant or not, no one should go through that when they already have the pressure of the entire world on their shoulders.

I don't want Alma to hate June. Alma is getting her hand burned by following June's lead with the rocks last season, and now June is enjoying an meal while everyone is getting tortured. June should not have taken a bite in front of them.

So disgusting when June was at the doctor and Serena/Fred were acting like it was their baby. It's a high chance that this baby is 0% of their of them. “Don’t get upset Serena. It’s bad for the baby.”

F Aunt Lyndia. There were a few times last season where she seemed like a good person, but nope. She doesn't care about these girls as people at all. She cares for them the same way a cult leader needs his followers.

Shocked that June is escaping. I did not expect her to get so far out in just one episode, especially during the season opener. I thought it was cool that the butcher was helping her, since he was the guy who gave her the package last season too. He must just be a nice dude. How did the doctor and the butcher know what to do? Who is organizing this?

Surprised June didn't consider her daughter during her escape. Maybe that will still come, but she has to know that by her escaping it is putting her daughter at risk.

Don't cut your ear off like that! There had to have been a way to remove the ear tag.

Last thought was on past America. Before Fred and his boys killed all political people the country seemed beyond repair. There was a line at pharmacies for husbands and women couldnt do anything without permission from the husband? What if you were single? Also interesting that all of this was happening when women were still allowed to work.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:54 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post The hanging scene was intense. I knew there was no way they would be hung, but that scene went on forever. Very sick that they did a 2inch drop to mess with the girls even more. Pregnant or not, no one should go through that when they already have the pressure of the entire world on their shoulders.

Let's give credit to the woodworker guy who went out of his way to completely change the mechanisms work just to drop them a small amount instead of a big one. Dude is a master
Tyler wrote:Source of the post I don't want Alma to hate June. Alma is getting her hand burned by following June's lead with the rocks last season, and now June is enjoying an meal while everyone is getting tortured. June should not have taken a bite in front of them.

It's hard not to resent someone for your mistakes, even if you are logical and know it was your own fault. I like Alma though and hope she doesn't get all crazy about it.

I watched the second episode, so I'll ignore some of your other comments.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Also interesting that all of this was happening when women were still allowed to work.

This was the weird part for me. This makes sense for the after they are required to stay home, but this would've been a HUGE red flag to flee the country to me.

Return to “The Handmaid's Tale”