Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Handmaid's Tale - s02e05 - Seeds

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu May 17, 2018 7:21 am

Offred spirals as a Gilead ceremony disrupts her relationship with Nick; Janine tries to adjust to life in the Colonies, jeopardizing her friendship with Emily.
Another great episode! This show is so twisted and dark.

Start with the biggest thing, the baby is alive. :dance: All episode I had no doubts that the baby would end up fine somehow, but at the end when Nick found June outside covered in blood I was instantly convinced that the baby was lost. I was so scared what Serena would do to June if that happened. Jocelyn noticed the baby heart rate right away though in the hospital scene. I was so mad at June for not telling someone right away. She abandoned the identity of June this episode and became Offred, but Offred would have reported the first signs of blood.

Next biggest thing of the episode, Nick getting married to a barely teenager. I need to update the hierarchy thread, but I'm not sure what role his wife has. Driver's wife? I think the clothes laid out for her were ecowife color? The wedding situation was horrible enough, but then they starting revealing how young all of the girls were. Awful. "he looks handsome, doesn't he". F you Serena.

Serena is all over the place. Last episode she wanted to lock up June and have her killed once the baby was born. This episode she was mad that June was sticking to her role too much (not talking on the walk). Then she forces Fred's hand in getting Nick hitched. At the end of the episode she is grateful June is okay, but that isn't any concern for June but rather the baby. But...then she tried being nice to Nick's new wife? Is it appropriate to tell a 14 year old bride that it's okay to enjoy the s3x with someone double your age?

Noticing a lot of tension between Serena and Aunt Lydia. Not sure where they are going with this though, other than I like seeing Lydia frustrate Serena.

Got some answers in the colonies. We still don't know what exactly they are doing, but we did learn that people live about a year after being sent there. I wonder if Ofglen (can't remember her real name) left now if she would be okay, or if the damage to her body is done and she has a death sentence regardless.

Was interesting seeing the 2 wedding ceremonies of the episode. The one in Gilead had no emotion, whereas the one at the colonies was full of love even though everyone knew it was only going to last a few hours before the lady died.

Rita breaking character around June was refreshing. I like getting glimpses of real people. "so...that happened"

I dread the episode where we learn Naomi (Serena's friend) is mistreating her baby or the baby dies. As Serena said in this episode, there isn't an time we see her where she isn't mad at the baby.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:19 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I was so mad at June for not telling someone right away. She abandoned the identity of June this episode and became Offred, but Offred would have reported the first signs of blood.

You have to think about this. I think she was so numb. She was also worried about what happens to her own kid if this baby were to die.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post erena is all over the place. Last episode she wanted to lock up June and have her killed once the baby was born. This episode she was mad that June was sticking to her role too much (not talking on the walk)

Serena just is frustrated. Her husband is with all these women, and he won't even acknowledge her. Offred was a way to vent, and now she just wants someone to talk to, regardless of the interactions.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I dread the episode where we learn Naomi (Serena's friend) is mistreating her baby or the baby dies. As Serena said in this episode, there isn't an time we see her where she isn't mad at the baby.

I said to Janelle as soon as that scene happened that she was going to kill her baby. I know her life is easy, but this society is essentially forcing people to have kids and not only that, be super excited about it. (At all times)

Return to “The Handmaid's Tale”