Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Handmaid's Tale - s02e06 - First Blood

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu May 24, 2018 6:34 am

Offred finds unexpected allies and obstacles in her search for a way to protect Hannah; The Commander prepares for the dedication of a new Red Center; Nick struggles with his new assignment.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:26 am

This episode was a bit crazy. Offred and Serena finally start to jive. You even start to feel sorry for Serena. All she wanted to do was lead a bunch of white chauvinists into a revolution so that the population could be rebuilt, which crushed her only dream of getting preggerz. I understand her frustration and resentment towards Offred, but she takes it pretty extreme.

Serena honestly just wants to be involved. She wants to have the comraderie with someone like she used to have with her husband. When she made the nice meal for Offred and the other handmaids, she tried desperately to be involved, but each time she contributed, it derailed the conversation, and it made it hard to watch. I thought this might have been one of the most enlightening scenes this season, where they show her just drift off into the other room while nobody noticed.

The scene where Offred exchanged tears with Serena over a request to see her daughter was rough. Serena wants a friend, but has to maintain the status quo even though she wants to be involved and confide in Offred. As soon as Offred asked about her daughter, Serena saw this as a betrayal to her, and realized (once again), that offred is only being nice with the end result of seeing her daughter in mind, not becoming Serena's friend. After that, she starts to resent her once again.

Really good episode.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri May 25, 2018 10:20 pm

Great amazing. You beat me to all of the Serena stuff. It is so hard watching Serena be nice to June because you know it is going to turn any second. June wants to see her child, Serena wants to let her see her child, but she can't allow that, and she needs to crack the whip to keep her position.

Jocelyn made an observation that Serena is obsessed with the garden because it's the only life she can grow now.

Prediction: Fred survives the bomb, but Nick's boss does not. Fred actually moves up in ranks and Nick is stuck there. Speaking of Fred, that was DARK when he killed that guy's wife/girlfriend. Sure, that guy was a total nut and deserved some kind of punishment, but not that.

I'm glad June's friends are mad at her anymore.

Nick's wife is one of the few true believers we have seen on the show. Wonder if she will eventually break out of that. Poor June telling her lover he has to boink his 15 year old bride or he will likely get killed.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri May 25, 2018 10:24 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post she tried desperately to be involved, but each time she contributed, it derailed the conversation,

I'm shocked they were openly talking about "before" life. I thought that was forbidden?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:54 pm

Tyler wrote:
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post she tried desperately to be involved, but each time she contributed, it derailed the conversation,

I'm shocked they were openly talking about "before" life. I thought that was forbidden?
I really think she just wanted a friend

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Return to “The Handmaid's Tale”