Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Handmaid's Tale - s02e09 - Smart Power

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:54 am

The Waterfords embark on a diplomatic trip abroad. Serena faces the temptation of life outside Gilead. Luke and Moira grapple with survivor’s guilt. Offred seeks support from allies.
Week late to watching this because of vacation.

I can't believe Canada even entertained the idea of hosting Gillead as if they could make some kind of partnership. What would be in it for Canada? Canada clearly knew what was going on there. Which means me to my next point, I am surprised by how impactful the letters were. Moira is an ex-handmaid that could have told Canada her first hand experiences. We know she isn't the only one to ever escape either. Nothing in those letters should have been new because all the people crossing the border should be saying the same story.

Really great conversation between Serena and the American guy who wanted to help her. He was calling her on her crap left and right. Pretty big reveal that scientist believe it is the men who are infertile (which doesn't make any sense that Mexico would want to buy the handmaids). It also seems like Serena isn't infertile because of the gunshot womb. We all think that, but it hasn't been confirmed in the show.
"That's not your child"
"You already did [commit treason against your country]"

I also loved the lady rubbing Serena's face in all of her freedoms. "I just work so much. I love to read". Here is a picture of your agenda. Ah snap!

I can't believe Serena wants June out of the house as soon as the baby is born. She just learned that her best friend's baby would have died if it wasn't for her birth-mother's cuddles.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this show does an amazing job of flipping characters from villain to sympathetic. Aunt Lydia basically agreeing to be the godmother and to protect the baby was touching.

My least favorite part of the show may be the love triangle between June, Nick, and Luke. Of course Nick and Luke met this episode and of course Nick had to say she loved June right after he said your husband loves you forever. On the topic of Nick...at least pretend to like your wife!!! Just a "I'll miss you too" and a hug.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Moira is an ex-handmaid that could have told Canada her first hand experiences. We know she isn't the only one to ever escape either. Nothing in those letters should have been new because all the people crossing the border should be saying the same story.

Lol, this is a great point. This made the whole episode really stupid.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post I've said it before and I'll say it again, this show does an amazing job of flipping characters from villain to sympathetic. Aunt Lydia basically agreeing to be the godmother and to protect the baby was touching.

I hate Aunt Lydia, but she really is acting in their best interest. She's hard on the handmaidens, but she basically has to train them like a dog, so that nothing happens to them. Don't want to have another gilmore girls or eyepatch running around.

Return to “The Handmaid's Tale”