Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Handmaid's Tale - s02e10 - The Last Ceremony

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:21 am

A frustrated Serena becomes desperate. The Commander tries to make amends with Offred. Nick pushes Eden farther away. Offred is faced with an unexpected reunion.

Season 2 finale. Of course this was an extra emotional episode. Is there any show on TV that consistently gives out as many good episodes as this? Even Westworld had a few duds this season.

Frig Ford and frig Serena. We've seen Ford rape June plenty of times during the ceremony, but this one was extra brutal. Pretty messed up with Serena holding her down during it, and all because this MIGHT help deliver the baby early. The baby that the doctor just said shouldn't be rushed. It seemed like Serena was disgusted with herself and Fred during the act, but of course she didn't apologize to June, and even if she did it wouldn't have helped.

Why did Ford then let June see her daughter? Did he feel guilty about the rape? I couldn't understand the motive behind this. June stood up to him and he was mad, so he was enjoying the rape to prove he holds all the power. Was allowing June to see her kid another just another power play? This scene was very emotional. Hannah first being scared, then mad, and then wanting her mommy back. I wonder how long it has been, just over a year? This scene was extra powerful too considering the recent events of children being taken from their families at the border.

Was Nick shot in the foot? Didn't seem like it was a fatal shot, but it was hard to see. If only Nick would have just shot the Hannah guard and ran off to Canada with June, Hannah, and the Martha. It seems like no one knew they were there so it would have been their best chance. Were the 2 guards that caught Nick just driving by and noticed cars at an empty house?

I'm glad June's contractions weren't the real deal. I hate the wive's birthing ceremony and it was making me uncomfortable watching them prepare for it.

Some real zingers in this episode:
“You have no idea what it is like to have a child that is your flesh and blood... and you never will.”
“Chances are better if I lay on my back afterwards.”

Nick gave some much needed laughter to the episode. It was hilarious how he reacted to his wife cheating on him, he just doesn't care at all. Him not caring could get him in trouble though. "I do love you, I just wish I knew you better" is all he had to say, or "I am twice your age, I want to take it slower"

In the book it is explained that black men weren't as infertile as others. The show kind of showed that when the black commander told Fred his wife is pregnant without the help of a handmaid.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:12 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Frig Ford and frig Serena. We've seen Ford rape June plenty of times during the ceremony, but this one was extra brutal. Pretty messed up with Serena holding her down during it, and all because this MIGHT help deliver the baby early. The baby that the doctor just said shouldn't be rushed. It seemed like Serena was disgusted with herself and Fred during the act, but of course she didn't apologize to June, and even if she did it wouldn't have helped.

You know, you go back and forth between Serena being this huge monster, to you being sympathetic for her. This episode showed that any evidence that she was once a human is gone. This was only for selfish reasons, because she didn't want to have Offred in the house anymore. She was disgusted at herself and she couldn't even look at her husband, because she was probably so disgusted that he was enjoying it, because he's an even worse monster.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Why did Ford then let June see her daughter? Did he feel guilty about the rape? I couldn't understand the motive behind this. June stood up to him and he was mad, so he was enjoying the rape to prove he holds all the power. Was allowing June to see her kid another just another power play? This scene was very emotional. Hannah first being scared, then mad, and then wanting her mommy back. I wonder how long it has been, just over a year? This scene was extra powerful too considering the recent events of children being taken from their families at the border.

I think the quick answer to this, is because Waterford doesn't think he did anything wrong. I don't think he feels guilty about the rape, because he's convinced himself it's not. This was literally a present that said "thanks for the sex lulz!"

The scene with Hannah made me feel things, and I'll admit I cried when she started crying and saying "Mommy". The child was confused and this probably confused her more. I'm glad she understands and was able to confront all these emotions in less than 10 minutes. It also took a hell of a lot of maturity of Offred not to make excuses or blame the system, because this is the world her child is growing up in and she can't stop that. It was beautiful and horrifying. I think watching this scene was more emotional for me, due to all the bullshit that is happening near the border. An executive order was signed to stop it, but there are 'No current plans' to get these families back together. It's heartbreaking and honestly something I haven't been able to process very well this last week.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Was Nick shot in the foot? Didn't seem like it was a fatal shot, but it was hard to see. If only Nick would have just shot the Hannah guard and ran off to Canada with June, Hannah, and the Martha. It seems like no one knew they were there so it would have been their best chance. Were the 2 guards that caught Nick just driving by and noticed cars at an empty house?

I thought for sure that Nick was going to kill the guards and they were going to drive north with the Martha and her child.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Some real zingers in this episode:
“You have no idea what it is like to have a child that is your flesh and blood... and you never will.”
“Chances are better if I lay on my back afterwards.”

With regard to this first zinger, she basically blatantly told the commander that it's not his child. I'm surprised he never questioned this.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post In the book it is explained that black men weren't as infertile as others. The show kind of showed that when the black commander told Fred his wife is pregnant without the help of a handmaid.

What confuses me about this, is it seems like the entire world knows that it's the men who are infertile, except for Gillead. Is this known there too, and that's why they were envious of that man, or are they actually ignorant of it?
Tyler
Owner

Re: The Handmaid's Tale - s02e10 - The Last Ceremony

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:56 am

Am an idiot. This isn't the finale. I assumed it was because of the title and 10 is a normal season length for these types of shows. There are 13 this season.
Kath525

Postby Kath525 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:51 am

Tyler wrote:Am an idiot. This isn't the finale. I assumed it was because of the title and 10 is a normal season length for these types of shows. There are 13 this season.

Yaaaaaasssssss!!!! Omg I’m so relieved! I thought it was the finale too and for that I was really underwhelmed with the episode. But now I think the episode was amazing and will comment more later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Handmaid's Tale”