Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Better Call Saul - Season 1 and 2

Tyler
Owner

Re: Better Call Saul

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:45 pm

The "kid" meeting Tuco and Nacho with the money is Crazy 8 from Breaking Bad. Glad to see he grew his own little empire before Walt ruined it.
Tag

Postby Tag » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:03 pm

Tyler wrote:Mike doesn't want to do Nacho's plan because it has too many areas to go wrong, but I think his plan does as well. He had to make a lot of assumptions:
-could hit the car just right
-Tuco would be using (easy one I guess)
-Tuco would be willing to rob him for the cash
-the cops would get there when he wanted them to
-Tuco would allow Nacho to leave before cops got there
-Tuco would pull a gun on him
-Tuco would punch him in front of cops
-etc

Side note. Was the gun dealer the same guy Walt used to buy his revolver?

I think you're looking far to into it honestly. I see it as, he wasn't quite ready to make the plunge and actually kill. like the vet said, to get big money you would have to do big things essentially.

Taco brought that point home, much easier to pull trigger and no worry of testifying, him coming after him once out ect. Mike showed the gun dealer he knew his way around a gun and in that remote area could have snipered him and peeled off, notice how long it took cops to get there, i think that was intentional.
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:22 am

I think it was a good idea. Worst case scenario, the guy does nothing to mike, he loses a couple hundred bucks and walks away, right? It was a no loss scenario for him.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:27 am

cwilkins88 wrote:I think it was a good idea. Worst case scenario, the guy does nothing to mike, he loses a couple hundred bucks and walks away, right? It was a no loss scenario for him.

True. You guys are right. BUT, what if Tuco snapped and killed him? That isn't out of the realm of possibly for the character.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:15 am

This might have been on Tag's podcast for last week's episode, but no one mentioned it yet.
When Jimmy was filming his commercial with the film students he asked for a steady cam dolly, and the kids said they didn't bring one. Just then the elderly lady came down the stairs on her lift and Jimmy holds up his hands to frame the shot. In the commercial the camera pans down from the stairs, clearly using the stair lift as their camera dolly. Very clever writing and attention to detail.
Tag

Postby Tag » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:01 pm

Tyler wrote:This might have been on Tag's podcast for last week's episode, but no one mentioned it yet.
When Jimmy was filming his commercial with the film students he asked for a steady cam dolly, and the kids said they didn't bring one. Just then the elderly lady came down the stairs on her lift and Jimmy holds up his hands to frame the shot. In the commercial the camera pans down from the stairs, clearly using the stair lift as their camera dolly. Very clever writing and attention to detail.

another cool part of that story was that is a real lady house, some old lady and that stair lift was not there before, they put that in there for the story line and then they kept it for her to use. I guess a kind of thank you for letting them use her house. I thought that was cool
-Tag

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:47 am

cwilkins was texting me about this during the show and I agree, this is the best looking show on TV. Every single frame is planned out so carefully.

This week's was very heavily Kim focused and not as exciting or funny, but I still thought it was good. If any other show had a 5 minute montage of someone trying to make phone calls I would be upset, but not BCS... They make everything so interesting.

Hector showing up at the end with Mike was crazy. Found this fan theory on Reddit.
A lot of people are thinking that Hector's $5,000 offer was really low, but it wasn't an offer at all. $5,000 was the amount Stacy found in the suitcase and questioned Mike about. It was the money Matty took from the dirty cops. When Hector revealed that he knew Mike was a cop and that they would go easy on him with the gun charge, Mike asked Hector if he was psychic. Hector then responded with the $5,000 figure as a way of saying "I've done my research". Mike is dirty and he knows it.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:40 pm

So goood! Mike's story has me on the edge of my seat. He is a certified bad ass. Loved the way he handled things in his house and set the trap, and then when the cousins were on the roof watching him. Great stuff.

Jimmy's story has my stomaching turning with all the stuff he's getting into and now Kim is acting out. Is this the straw that broke the camel's back for him and his firm? Is Kim going to leave HMM?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:11 pm

A lot of moving around this episode. Jimmy seemed to be going back to his old life style, but the proposal from Kimmy is interesting. No way it will work out though. Jimmy seems insulted by the proposal even.

What was up with Mike? Was that Nacho and Tucos meetup he was outside of? Looking for more work since he has a house to buy?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:24 pm

I could watch an entire episode of Jimmy forging documents. I found that extremely entertaining and tense.

Damn Mike is such a bad ass
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:36 am

It's amazing how they focus on one mundane task and make it fantastic. Like the forging of documents or the sticky note episode.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:23 am

I want to ask this before the new episode tonight.
Is Howard a bad guy?
Is Chuck a bad guy?

Ramble warning.

I do not think Howard is a bad guy. I think he was being sincere with Kim when he said he was jealous of her for going out on her own and he had no obligations to pay her student loans but he chose to do so. It was not shady of him to meet with MasaVerda (sp) and try to keep them as a client. I think any time Howard has done something cruel it's because he thinks Chuck wants that to happen and he wants to impress/keep Chuck happy. Remember if Chuck quit and they had to buy him out it would bankrupt the whole firm.

Chuck is a little more complicated. He is very manipulative and shady, but in his eyes he is doing it for the right reasons. Any time he comes across as "bad" he is doing it to prevent Jimmy from doing something he shouldn't be. However, Chuck getting MasaVerda back was a personal attack to Jimmy through Kim.

Podcast had an interesting take on Jimmy/Chuck. Last week Chuck told Jimmy that if he had the same condition he would also be there for him. Chuck is the kind of guy who would happily pay your medical bill but not be there by your side, whereas Jimmy would do everything he could to keep you out of the hospital by devoting all his time to you.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:32 am

I agree with everything you said. Howard is most definitely not a bad guy. The only time he was remotely shady was when he wanted to punish Kimmy, but even that isn't 'terrible', its just being a bad boss and projecting. Most of the things he has done are in the interest of his firm.

Chuck isn't necessarily a bad guy either. He has convinced himself that Jimmy is inherently bad in terms of business, and nothing will change his mind. Interestingly enough, Chuck is the one person who could have probably dissuaded Jimmy from doing things in a shady manner, but he never believed in him.

Chuck would also not help Jimmy out, aside from his wallet. The fact that Jimmy is still helping him surprises me a lot.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:46 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Chuck isn't necessarily a bad guy either. He has convinced himself that Jimmy is inherently bad in terms of business, and nothing will change his mind.

Jimmy with a law degree is like a chimp with a machine gun.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:40 pm

This show... Holy crap. Mike stuff started off intense this episode. Jimmy and Chuck went at it and oh my gosh Chuck's head. I hope it just knocked him out.

Mike is going after Victor hard now since he killed someone becasue of the heist?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:54 pm

Fun little theory. Other people think that the kid who helps Chuck is Gus's son.

http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=78536
Tag

Postby Tag » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:55 pm

I agree, Howard isnt bad dude. No one is perfect but i actually like him..

What podcast do you listen to Ty? I listen to the official one led by kelly dixon. I love it, super long tho almost always over an hour.

I can't stand Chuck. Sounds terrible but i hope the hit knocks him out of the show (debilitates him so bad hes no longer in story) Im almost certain this wont happen. I just hate Chuck, He just can't live and let live. He feels he has to portray this god type figure where he decides right/wrong at all times, i dont like that.

I love BCS but this one part of the show was a stretch.. Chuck so perfectly knowing exactly what he did to sabotage the papers and so forth. I know Chuck is great, but NOONE is perfect and he didnt drastically alter the papers, just switch two numbers. I didnt like how Chuck magically spelled everything out. It wasnt just one paper either, many, I think Jimmy pulled that off perfectly and it was too big a stretch for him to nail the whole story. With his "disability" and age, flipping a number isn't insane. Not to mention in previous episodes he has forgotten something and blamed on "disability" so I just didnt like that part.
-Tag

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:44 am

I think Kim started believing Chuck when he said the address was 1 year off from when the Magna Carta was signed. That's a connection only Chuck would make and that address would have been hammered in his head

I listen to the Kelly Dixon cast when I like the episode enough to listen to 3 hours worth of podcast. Otherwise I stick to Better Cast Saul. The 2 hosts do a lot of TV podcasting for the shows I watch.
Tag

Postby Tag » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:11 pm

man.. I hate chuck...

he set that whole thing up, the "fake quit", putting that stuff all over the walls, all to get jimmy to admit what he did and record it. Jimmy can still talk his way out of that easily i feel. just simply say trying to talk down crazy brother, which chuck is.

this show left me super mad and hating chuck, more than usual
-Tag

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:48 am

Great finale episode. Didn't have the same "HOLY SHIT" moments of s02e09, but there were tons of things in this episode I liked. I wish I kept notes during the show, but here are the things I picked up or remember liking last night when I watched it.

WARNING. I am about to fanboy all over this show.

OPENING
The cold opening was so strong. Everyone initially thinks Jimmy is at the hospital bedside of Chuck, but then the nurse moves and reveals Chuck is next to Jimmy. Such a little framing effect but it works so well. You know as soon as Jimmy leaves to get the sandwiches his mother is going to flat line, but I couldn't predict in her final dying words she ignores her eldest son and calls for Jimmy...TWICE! Of course Chuck didn't tell Jimmy this. Chuck knows he is the "better" son based on career, success, morals, etc, but yet, his parents both seem to prefer Jimmy's warm personality over all of those KPI's.

COPY STORE
I honestly didn't know if Jimmy was going to run into the copy shop or not. As horrible as it sounds, I didn't want him going in there. Jimmy has his flaws, same as Chuck, but he is the lovable idiot you are rooting for. You know if he runs into that store then Chuck is going to know he is right about everything. When Chuck comes to you can see it in his eyes, he knows he was right about everything.

HOSPITAL
Again, the cinematography is always top notch for this show. The cut of Chuck being taken into the hospital was so superb. Him being framed upside down just added to the tension and helped you feel the confusion he was going through. Michael McKean gave such a convincing performance.

I was not expecting Ernie to step up like that when Chuck confronted Jimmy on how he got to the store so fast. I understand why Ernie does it, but that just adds another layer to it. Ernie thinks he is protecting Jimmy from Chuck's unjustified accusations, but really Ernie is only getting a guilty man out of his sentencing.

I thought it was interesting when Chuck went into a self induced coma after the CAT scan. When the doctor explained that Chuck's episode in the copy shop was stress related that made perfect sense. Chuck's sensitivity to electricity is always the worst when he is stressed. It's now clear that Chuck has a serious stress issue and he's blaming it on a fake condition to cope with it. However, this condition that he's convinced himself of is also causing stress in his life so it only makes things worse. Vicious cycle.

When Jimmy/Kim where waiting we got to see the commercial. Gimme Jimmy. You can see hints of Saul in the commercial, but i really was well produced. Jimmy looks so guilty while watching a commercial that over sells how honest he is. Right after his commercial, for a split second, was an ad for a weasel trap. So many cute little clever things.

Was happy to see Jimmy's office full of elderly people waiting to see him. You can see Jimmy holding back his annoyance with how slow they are. It's only a matter of time he switches from elder law to something that is more sexy...like criminal.

Jimmy rushes to Chuck's after Howard explains Chuck is leaving the law. As Tag mentioned, this whole act is constructed by Chuck just to get Jimmy to confess he tampered with the paper work. It's crazy how Chuck is able to predict every move of Jimmy's and Jimmy walks right into the trap because his guard is down. I was yelling at the TV for Jimmy not to admit to anything. As soon as Jimmy said "it's your word against mine" I knew he screwed himself.

MIKE
I know Mike's stuff wasn't all at the end, but I'm not remembering exactly where his scenes fit into the episode.

The black market gun expert is one of the coolest characters in this show. I love the scene with him and Mike zeroing in the rifle. Their dialog is so great together. These are 2 men that are so knowledge about guns, it is fascinating listening to them. I also like how professional they both are all the time.

Better Call Saul is one of the few shows that can get away with such slow pacing at times. Mike is looking through his scope for 4-5 minutes it seems and nothing comes of it. I assume Nacho is the one to leave the note, but he was in the house? That part left me stumped.

TL;DR - I like this show too much

Return to “Better Call Saul”