Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Is it even a question worth asking if Chuck is alive or not? He is fo sho dead, and if he isn't I'll be upset just like I am/was about Laurie in The Leftovers. What do you think is the thing that brought Chuck's illness back and the decision to take his own life?
"I don't wanna hurt your feelings but the truth is you never mattered all that much to me" - Chuck didn't mean it, and right after he said it his condition came back.

Before Chuck went off the deep end again it was nice seeing his house all lit up. I never realized just how massive his home is and how beautiful it is. Too bad he had to punch holes through it all and burn it down.

I was glad to see Jimmy did the right thing and showed his true colors to the elders by intentionally leaving the mic on. That really was the only way to save that poor lady's friendships. Does this mean no payout anytime soon? Popular theory was HHM wanted to settle now too and use that money to pay off Chuck. What a power move by Howard to use his personal money to buy out Chuck, not the firm's.

I'm glad to see Kim take some time off after her accident. Her relationship with Jimmy is so weird! They like each other, but they don't have the chemistry they once had. Anyone else think Kim might get addicted to the "good stuff"? Seemed strange to include ibuprofen vs. prescription pills like that.

Is Don Hector done for now? Will he make a recovery from that? Gus 100% knows what Nacho did. Will he care?

No Mike in this episode. Was a little sad about that.

One more shout-out to Michael McKean. There are characters in shows/movies you hate because the actor sucks, but McKean nailed Chuck. He did such good work with that character.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:19 am

We finally got around to finishing this season. Had 3 episodes left and watched them all last night. It was hard seeing Jimmy ruin the old lady's friendships but I was glad he did the right thing and made it better.

We also noticed there was no Mike in the finale, that was a bit disappointing.

Seems like if you want to kill yourself, burning to death would be one of the worst options. Although, I'm guessing Chuck did it that way so it would look like an accident and people wouldn't assume he was actually trying to kill himself.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:25 am

2 problems that a podcast pointed out in this episode.
1) Why did Gus stay with Don Hector after his stroke? Gus is a member of the community, he shouldn't be seen with criminals when the ambulance comes. He even tells the other drug guy to leave.
2) Did Kim know about Jimmy's plan with the old ladies? It seemed like she did when she said he has to fix it the Jimmy way. I find it hard to believe Kim knew what Jimmy did and didn't have a problem with it?

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Seems like if you want to kill yourself, burning to death would be one of the worst options. Although, I'm guessing Chuck did it that way so it would look like an accident and people wouldn't assume he was actually trying to kill himself.

Good point. I hope this doesn't get pinned on Jimmy somehow, but I doubt it will.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:29 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post 2) Did Kim know about Jimmy's plan with the old ladies? It seemed like she did when she said he has to fix it the Jimmy way. I find it hard to believe Kim knew what Jimmy did and didn't have a problem with it?

I was a little confused about this too. They never really went into details about any of it when Jimmy and Kim were talking together, yet it seemed like she was on the same page. Jimmy initially just told her "Don't worry about the details" when he said the class action suit was settling but somehow she knew that the old lady lost her friends and Jimmy needed to fix it?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:41 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I was a little confused about this too. They never really went into details about any of it when Jimmy and Kim were talking together, yet it seemed like she was on the same page. Jimmy initially just told her "Don't worry about the details" when he said the class action suit was settling but somehow she knew that the old lady lost her friends and Jimmy needed to fix it?

Exactly. Glad I'm not the only one who thought a scene was missing from that exchange. Either way I would think Kim would be furious since she seemed to know Jimmy was torturing an old lady.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:10 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Is it even a question worth asking if Chuck is alive or not? He is fo sho dead, and if he isn't I'll be upset just like I am/was about Laurie in The Leftovers. What do you think is the thing that brought Chuck's illness back and the decision to take his own life?
"I don't wanna hurt your feelings but the truth is you never mattered all that much to me" - Chuck didn't mean it, and right after he said it his condition came back.

Before Chuck went off the deep end again it was nice seeing his house all lit up. I never realized just how massive his home is and how beautiful it is. Too bad he had to punch holes through it all and burn it down.

One more shout-out to Michael McKean. There are characters in shows/movies you hate because the actor sucks, but McKean nailed Chuck. He did such good work with that character.

I believe that what caused Chuck to go off the deep end is his extreme guilt for what he did to Jimmy. I believe he truly loved/loves Jimmy. That once he lost his law firm and Jimmy showed up to make amends... Chuck reacted out of character from his inner self to tell Jimmy he didn't care for him. When the truth was that he dearly loved him, that he wanted to be proud that he was a lawyer but his own self doubt, insecurities took over and he became something he never wanted to be. I think he took his own life, as that fire raged really quick.

Michael McKean is phenomenal as Chuck. I hate the guy because he was such a great actor as he seems like a really good dude in real life. I hope he is put for an Emmy.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:14 am

Tyler wrote:Exactly. Glad I'm not the only one who thought a scene was missing from that exchange. Either way I would think Kim would be furious since she seemed to know Jimmy was torturing an old lady.

Um... I thought Jimmy told Kim a bit of what he did, not specifics but some thing and now he felt guilty for it.... she tells him in order to feel better, he'll need to fix it. Either way, I'm glad Jimmy fixed that relationship. Does that lawsuit carry on into Breaking Bad?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:16 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Um... I thought Jimmy told Kim a bit of what he did, not specifics but some thing and now he felt guilty for it.... she tells him in order to feel better, he'll need to fix it. Either way, I'm glad Jimmy fixed that relationship. Does that lawsuit carry on into Breaking Bad?

Agreed.

I loved this episode. Chuck is such a fantastic actor. He spiraled out of control FAST.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:53 am

I guess I didn't realize it hadn't been already. I thought it said at one point that 4 seasons total was going to be the plan. Seems like they are in a good spot to have one more season to have Jimmy fully become Saul and wrap up events prior to Breaking Bad.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:55 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I guess I didn't realize it hadn't been already. I thought it said at one point that 4 seasons total was going to be the plan. Seems like they are in a good spot to have one more season to have Jimmy fully become Saul and wrap up events prior to Breaking Bad.

Vince Gilligan said they want to do 1 or 2 more seasons of the show.

This could mean 3 seasons though if he does the same thing he did for the final season of Breaking Bad. "One season" over 2 years with 175% the episodes of a normal season
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:26 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post I guess I didn't realize it hadn't been already. I thought it said at one point that 4 seasons total was going to be the plan. Seems like they are in a good spot to have one more season to have Jimmy fully become Saul and wrap up events prior to Breaking Bad.

This could mean 3 seasons though if he does the same thing he did for the final season of Breaking Bad. "One season" over 2 years with 175% the episodes of a normal season

I'd be okay with this.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post

I'd be okay with this.

I think I would too. I have enough faith in them that they can keep it good and not stretch it out for the sake of more seasons.

Return to “Better Call Saul”