Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Dog food

Talk about anything.
ejhartman91

Dog food

Postby ejhartman91 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:53 am

What do you feed your dogs?

I recently discovered this: http://www.reviews.com/dog-food/

Made me think twice about what I'm feeding ours.

We are planning to switch to earthborn holistic. It seems to be one of their cheaper (obviously that's relative here) widely available recommendations.
Last edited by ejhartman91 on Sun May 21, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Owner

Dog food

Postby Tyler » Sun May 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Taste of the Wild.
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food ... -food-dry/
Would buy it from Tractor Supply when I lived in Ankeny. Now I get it from Amazon or Chewy.com
ejhartman91

Dog food

Postby ejhartman91 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:04 pm

Yeah we currently feed our older dog taste of the wild.

The reviews.com article doesn't like it because it's manufactured by diamond and they had that ugly recall.
SleepyChimera

Dog food

Postby SleepyChimera » Mon May 22, 2017 8:04 am

We just feed Iams puppy chow right now cause that's what he was using when we got him. I'm thinking about trying to switch because he has TERRIBLE gas. I've never seen someone gas out my fiancé before and my dog does it on regular occasion.

Then again we use it as a good estimator for how long before he needs to potty again... lol

Edit: I don't like that the list on this website isn't easier to access. You have to keep expanding by only 20 at a time @-@
Tyler
Owner

Dog food

Postby Tyler » Mon May 22, 2017 8:18 am

Did you mean Purina Puppy Chow?
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... uppy-chow/

No judgment here since we used the same type of food before being told to get Blue Buffalo puppy mix.
purple_hayes

Dog food

Postby purple_hayes » Mon May 22, 2017 8:36 am

SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post We just feed Iams puppy chow right now cause that's what he was using when we got him. I'm thinking about trying to switch because he has TERRIBLE gas. I've never seen someone gas out my fiancé before and my dog does it on regular occasion.

We found that if you choose a dog food that has the main ingredient being grain, it gives dog wicked bad gas. Dogs aren't meant to digest so much grain. Blue Buffalo is a brand that uses meats as the main ingredient. We switched up our Lab, Riddick, food to something that was more meat based, its helped out a lot. He still gets gas during storms and what not, but he's much better. If you are looking for a new food, try looking at the ingredients to make sure they aren't using corn or grains as the main ingredients.
SleepyChimera

Dog food

Postby SleepyChimera » Mon May 22, 2017 12:42 pm

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post
SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post We just feed Iams puppy chow right now cause that's what he was using when we got him. I'm thinking about trying to switch because he has TERRIBLE gas. I've never seen someone gas out my fiancé before and my dog does it on regular occasion.

We found that if you choose a dog food that has the main ingredient being grain, it gives dog wicked bad gas. Dogs aren't meant to digest so much grain. Blue Buffalo is a brand that uses meats as the main ingredient. We switched up our Lab, Riddick, food to something that was more meat based, its helped out a lot. He still gets gas during storms and what not, but he's much better. If you are looking for a new food, try looking at the ingredients to make sure they aren't using corn or grains as the main ingredients.

That's what we intend to do soon. We are coming up on our first payment for a new vehicle so we're waiting until after that to make sure we can accommodate the extra cost.
purple_hayes

Dog food

Postby purple_hayes » Mon May 22, 2017 12:47 pm

SleepyChimera wrote:That's what we intend to do soon. We are coming up on our first payment for a new vehicle so we're waiting until after that to make sure we can accommodate the extra cost.

We use Purina True Instinct (https://www.purinaone.com/dogs/products ... y-dog-food) because of the extra cost using other more natrual dog food like Blue Buffalo. My lab Riddick won't eat anything else. We had him on Blue Buffalo, he would stop eating it. They make smaller bags that are affordable if you want to see which flavor your pup would like. I know the turkey and venison is the one we have to buy since he's so picky. Target has it on sale all the time where you buy two bags and get $5 back.
blake

Dog food

Postby blake » Mon May 22, 2017 1:39 pm

CrckrJack

Dog food

Postby CrckrJack » Wed May 31, 2017 9:59 am

Kathryn and I have switched to Orijen thanks to this post.
ejhartman91

Dog food

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:03 am

CrckrJack wrote:Kathryn and I have switched to Orijen thanks to this post.

Glad to hear my post helped you make sure your dog is eating healthy!

What food were you buying before?
CrckrJack

Dog food

Postby CrckrJack » Wed May 31, 2017 10:07 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post What food were you buying before?

I think Purina. We didn't really have any issues with it, but hopefully the switch will get them a few more years.

I always felt a little dirty buying them the "most expensive" option at wal-mart.
SleepyChimera

Dog food

Postby SleepyChimera » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:35 am

We're making the switch as well. We recent bought a bag of Buffalo Blue Wilderness for puppies. We're currently mixing it into his current food at a 50/50 ratio and once he's out he'll switch to the full amount being Blue. He's only been on it for a day or two so we'll see how it goes.
Tyler
Owner

Dog food

Postby Tyler » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:48 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Yeah we currently feed our older dog taste of the wild.

The reviews.com article doesn't like it because it's manufactured by diamond and they had that ugly recall.

Amazon doesn't carry all of the bags now!
https://www.amazon.com/Taste-of-the-Wil ... f+the+Wild

Looks like I will need to order from Chewy.com today or change his food. I want a brand from Amazon so I can get it in 2 days. Does anyone else order their food from there?

Edit: Looks like Amazon has the stuff that ejhartman orders and for around the same price as Taste of the Wild, but the bags are 2 lbs lighter!
https://www.amazon.com/Earthborn-Holist ... n+holistic
SleepyChimera

Dog food

Postby SleepyChimera » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:07 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Does anyone else order their food from there?

I order my catfood from amazon. We'll do the same thing w/ the dog food once we are sure he's well acclimated to it and isn't having any issues (we're still on 50/50 old/new food split)
ejhartman91

Dog food

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:07 am

Tyler wrote:
ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Yeah we currently feed our older dog taste of the wild.

Amazon doesn't carry all of the bags now!
https://www.amazon.com/Taste-of-the-Wil ... f+the+Wild

Looks like I will need to order from Chewy.com today or change his food. I want a brand from Amazon so I can get it in 2 days. Does anyone else order their food from there?

Edit: Looks like Amazon has the stuff that ejhartman orders and for around the same price as Taste of the Wild, but the bags are 2 lbs lighter!
I used to use chewy, they have 2 day shipping as well (as long as your order is over $50).

Now we just pick up all our dog food and treats at Wholesome Pet Essentials in Ankeny. They are a local business but they strive to only carry the highest quality and safest brands/products.

The best part is they aren't any more expensive than Amazon or chewy. Literally the same prices on everything that I've checked.
Tyler
Owner

Dog food

Postby Tyler » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:12 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Now we just pick up all our dog food and treats at Wholesome Pet Essentials in Ankeny. They are a local business but they strive to only carry the highest quality and safest brands/products.

The best part is they aren't any more expensive than Amazon or chewy. Literally the same prices on everything that I've checked.

Good for you supporting a local business. Are they new? I don't remember them when we lived there.

I ordered Amazon this time, but next time I'm in Ankeny I'll look into the store.
ejhartman91

Dog food

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:20 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Good for you supporting a local business. Are they new? I don't remember them when we lived there.

I don't think they are new. They are located next to Wig & Pen and that Textbook store.

The first time we went was to get Luna groomed. They actually did a really good job, but then we discovered they are booked 3 weeks out for grooming pretty much all the time, which is inconvenient. We never had any intentions of buying our dog food from them but after doing some research and checking prices we figured it's the best way to go. It helps that it's just down the road from where we live.
Tyler
Owner

Dog food

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:19 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Edit: Looks like Amazon has the stuff that ejhartman orders and for around the same price as Taste of the Wild, but the bags are 2 lbs lighter!

Update: Been doing a mix of his old food and the new. He eats it just as fast as the other stuff. No weird poops or anything

Return to “Off Topic”