Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Gardening

Talk about anything.
Donomoto

Gardening

Postby Donomoto » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:04 pm

While Junie couldn't eat through the skin, she gnawed on the tomato quarters for about 5 minutes. Funny to see her sitting there for a long time, then just spit out a tomato skin.
wags83

Gardening

Postby wags83 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:18 am

Beautiful!

I've found that I'm really good at growing thistles. It's a pain in the ass trying to constantly keep them out of the garden and I can never seem to get the full root.
Tyler
Owner

Gardening

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:20 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I've found that I'm really good at growing thistles. It's a pain in the ass trying to constantly keep them out of the garden and I can never seem to get the full root.

Spray the whole thing with all the Roundups at the end of the season?
wags83

Gardening

Postby wags83 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:22 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post I've found that I'm really good at growing thistles. It's a pain in the ass trying to constantly keep them out of the garden and I can never seem to get the full root.

Spray the whole thing with all the Roundups at the end of the season?

Possibly. I did that initially when we first put it in but they always seem to find their way back.
Tyler
Owner

Gardening

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:48 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Possibly. I did that initially when we first put it in but they always seem to find their way back.

You only used some of the Roundups, I recommend all of it.

I wonder if there is a combination of roundup and tilling that works best?
wags83

Gardening

Postby wags83 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:51 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post Possibly. I did that initially when we first put it in but they always seem to find their way back.

You only used some of the Roundups, I recommend all of it.

I wonder if there is a combination of roundup and tilling that works best?

Ah, that's where I went wrong. If you guys could just buy out your local supplies of Roundup and send it my way, that would help immensely.

I was also curious about tilling. I probably didn't do it well enough since I only used a shovel and hoe, not an actual tiller.
Donomoto

Gardening

Postby Donomoto » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:25 pm

wags83 wrote:I was also curious about tilling. I probably didn't do it well enough since I only used a shovel and hoe, not an actual tiller.

If you're tilling, renting one for a few hours or even a day is very much worth the time you save. I've seen some places that rent out some out for ~30$ for 3 hours or ~50$ for a day.
wags83

Gardening

Postby wags83 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:46 pm

Donomoto wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:I was also curious about tilling. I probably didn't do it well enough since I only used a shovel and hoe, not an actual tiller.

If you're tilling, renting one for a few hours or even a day is very much worth the time you save. I've seen some places that rent out some out for ~30$ for 3 hours or ~50$ for a day.

Yeah, I think that's what we'll do next time around.
wags83

Gardening

Postby wags83 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:37 pm

Picked out some radishes this week. Got probably a couple dozen, maybe less. I love garden fresh radishes and these are pretty good.
Donomoto

Gardening

Postby Donomoto » Thu May 10, 2018 7:50 pm

I don't know if I should make a new post, or just revive this one. Kayla and I are planning on growing grape tomatoes (Total hit last year), some peppers, and some herbs (I won't let that silly sweet basil take over half our garden again this year!)

What is everyone else growing this year?
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Gardening

Postby Tyler » Thu May 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Donomoto wrote:I don't know if I should make a new post, or just revive this one. Kayla and I are planning on growing grape tomatoes (Total hit last year), some peppers, and some herbs (I won't let that silly sweet basil take over half our garden again this year!)

What is everyone else growing this year?
Cherry/grape tomatoes are so yummy.

We just have potted plants. Evie loves getting on her gardening gloves and planting things. Jocelyn might do more planters with her this summer.
wags83

Gardening

Postby wags83 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:22 am

I was meaning to bring this thread back. I tilled the garden and added some dirt/compost to it earlier this week. We picked out some plants to put in and I will probably do so tonight or tomorrow.
Planning to have various chili peppers (jalapenos, habaneros, thai chilis), some bell peppers, a couple tomato plants, zucchini, cucumber, radishes, and if I have left over seeds from last year I'll add beets and carrots even though the rabbits got to them last year.
I also got chicken wire for fencing this year since the rabbits were able to chew through the plastic fence we had last year and wrecked most of the garden.
wags83

Gardening

Postby wags83 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:37 am

Got everything planted on Saturday morning. Hopefully this will keep the damn bunnies out.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ha0ZzAptK1bgP8Lo2
Also we have a small planter next to the front door and we put a couple sweet mint plants in there. So it will smell nice when people come in the front door.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Gardening

Postby Tyler » Mon May 14, 2018 7:44 am

You call that a fence?
wags83

Gardening

Postby wags83 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:52 am

I call it a chicken wire fence! They will at least not be able to chew through it like the plastic I had last year.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Gardening

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:54 am

I think the fence looks great. Way better than Tyler's invisible one.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:10 am

How was everyone's harvest? Tylersucks brought me some stuff last week that we have been enjoying. We got about 10 cherry tomatoes off our $14 plant, so waste of money there.
wags83

Gardening

Postby wags83 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:56 am

Ours was good. We still have a ton of zucchini to use but I think the plants are done producing.
Cucumbers might have a couple left on the vine if there is enough time to grow.
Tomato plants did ok, but there are still a bunch of green ones that haven't ripened yet on the one plant, the other tomato plant didn't produce too much.
Radishes and carrots produced well.
The jalapenos we got were good but we haven't gotten much. There are still a lot of small ones on the plant, hoping there is still time for them to grow more.
Habaneros did really well this year. Still a ton on the plant but I want them to ripen more before I pick them.
Bell peppers did ok. Haven't pulled them off yet, but they are looking pretty good. Not sure they were worth the money of growing our own with how many we'll get from 2 plants.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:51 am

Wow, you had a lot of plants! Did you start from seeds or starter plants?
wags83

Gardening

Postby wags83 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:41 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Wow, you had a lot of plants! Did you start from seeds or starter plants?

Cucumber, zucchini, carrots, and radishes were seeds. Peppers and tomatoes were the seedling starter plants.
Also had beets from seeds but the birds ate off all the leaves as soon as they sprouted about the dirt so we didn't get any.

Return to “Off Topic”