Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Horror movies

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Horror movies

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:40 pm

I think we have done a thread about scariest movies (but post them here anyways). My main question though, is what is your favorite kind of horror movie?
"Realistic" - Friday the 13th
Super natural - IT, ghosts, monsters
Gore - Green Room, saw, final destination.

Correct answer. None of the above. I 100% get my hate for horror from my parents. Over the weekend my dad said the last horror movie he was was the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre in 1974
Artukka

Horror movies

Postby Artukka » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Horror doesn't particularly appeal to me either. In fact I don't think I can recall a single true horror film that I liked. Cabin in the Woods would probably be the closest thing. Maybe something with striking imagery and cinematography like The Shining, which I haven't watched as an adult.

To me, horror seems like a great element to incorporate into certain types of films but when it's the core thing everything in a movie is built around it doesn't work as well for some reason. I feel the same way about comedy, to a lesser degree.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Horror movies

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Likewise about Cabin the Woods. That was the last (and only) horror movie I saw in theaters and enjoyed. I saw some of the Rob Zombie remakes 10 years ago, but only because I wanted to look tough when a group of us went with girls.
wags83

Horror movies

Postby wags83 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:18 pm

Like I mentioned in the It thread, I usually end up seeing horror movies whether it's through free screener tickets or out of boredom, but they often seem silly to me. My favorite part of horror movies is commenting on/making fun of them with others who are watching. I can never seem to suspend my disbelief enough to relate to the characters in horror movies, which is weird because I love sci-fi and fantasy movies. Maybe it's just a defensive mechanism so that I don't get scared.
wags83

Horror movies

Postby wags83 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:19 pm

An exception, if you consider it horror, would be zombie movies. I love a good zombie movie (and some bad ones), but that might be considered a genre of its own.
CrckrJack

Horror movies

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:18 pm

IT is the only horror/scary movie in recent memory that I have had any desire to see.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Horror movies

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:22 pm

I wouldn't rank any sub-genre of horror above the over. I would, however, say I don't like the "haunted house" sub-genre of horror movies. Stuff like paranormal activity, the conjuring, and insidious. Those movies are boring.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Horror movies

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:47 pm

I will answer this more. I have lots of opinions here.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Horror movies

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:50 am

Okay, so I go in spurts of horror genre, but there are some big ones that I really love.

Survival horror - The Chamber, The Cave, Cavern, The Ledge (Crosses with Hunted Horror - weird movie, switches genres halfway through)
Slow Burning Horror - The Invitation, It Follows
Unkillable killer horror - The Hills Have Eyes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Wrong Turn (Just the first one), Cold Prey
Hunted Horror - The Descent Franchise, The ruins, Monster
Mind Fuck Horror - As Above, So Below, Grave Encounters, Get Out
Sci Fi Horror - Pandorum, Alien, IT?
Gore Horror - Severance, Green Room, Sphere
Animal Horror Movies - Rogue, Frozen
Last edited by cwilkins88 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
purple_hayes

Horror movies

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:56 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Okay, so I go in spurts of horror genre, but there are some big ones that I really love.

You didn't like Halloween or Friday the 13th for unkillable killable killer horror movie? I guess you could put those under Slasher Horror?

Mindfuckable Horror... you not see Get Out? that was kinda freaky or maybe didn't classify it right.

Animal Horror - Cujo anyone? My sister was scared of our dog after watching that. Any time he's show his teeth, she'd freak.
purple_hayes

Horror movies

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:00 am

Tyler wrote: Over the weekend my dad said the last horror movie he was was the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre in 1974

The only horror movie I haven't watched again was the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I saw it when I was 10, its the only movie I haven't been able to finish, and I have never gone back to. Horror movies do not bother me, at all. I've watched them since I was like 5. What got me was the beginning when they said this was based on real events. As a 10 year old, I totally bought into it. I've thought about going back to rewatch it as an adult, but never really wanted to. I've seen the sequels and reboots. Just not something I care for in horror movies.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Horror movies

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:07 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Okay, so I go in spurts of horror genre, but there are some big ones that I really love.

You didn't like Halloween or Friday the 13th for unkillable killable killer horror movie? I guess you could put those under Slasher Horror?

Mindfuckable Horror... you not see Get Out? that was kinda freaky or maybe didn't classify it right.

Animal Horror - Cujo anyone? My sister was scared of our dog after watching that. Any time he's show his teeth, she'd freak.

I added Get Out just now. I need to rewatch those. They are good.
purple_hayes

Horror movies

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:16 am

cwilkins88 wrote:I added Get Out just now. I need to rewatch those. They are good.

I've wanted to rewatch Cujo. I loved it when I was a kid. I've rewatched Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Halloween. The big slasher movies from my youth. They don't really hold up to the current slew of horror movies that can use CGI and other filming methods but some of the conventional use of lighting, shot placement, suspense really does show how inventive they had to get. They are fun to watch. Its also funny to see the actors who were in those movies as we all know Jamie Lee Curtis was in Halloween but many may not know that Kevin Bacon was in Friday the 13th and Tom Hanks was in another horror movie from that time.
purple_hayes

Horror movies

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:18 am

Oh... another good two thirds of a suspense/horror movie is What Lies Beneath with Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfieffer. Has a ton of jump scares, kinda falls apart towards the end, but man, its a good one to watch.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Horror movies

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:20 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Oh... another good two thirds of a suspense/horror movie is What Lies Beneath with Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfieffer. Has a ton of jump scares, kinda falls apart towards the end, but man, its a good one to watch.

Stir of Echoes.
purple_hayes

Horror movies

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:25 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post
purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Oh... another good two thirds of a suspense/horror movie is What Lies Beneath with Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfieffer. Has a ton of jump scares, kinda falls apart towards the end, but man, its a good one to watch.

Stir of Echoes.

Is that the Kevin Bacon hypnotist movie?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Horror movies

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:27 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post

Stir of Echoes.

Is that the Kevin Bacon hypnotist movie?

He goes like crazy underneath his house and there is a body buried under it for some reason.
purple_hayes

Horror movies

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:54 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Stir of Echoes.

Is that the Kevin Bacon hypnotist movie?[/quote]

He goes like crazy underneath his house and there is a body buried under it for some reason.[/quote]

Yeah, he gets hypnotized to be more open minded, by opening his mind it allowed the ghost of a girl that's buried in this house to haunt him, has his sanity begins to fail, he becomes obsessed with this basement of a house. Yeah, that one is really good.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Horror movies

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:01 pm

You must not be talking about Disney's Frozen?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Horror movies

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Tyler wrote:You must not be talking about Disney's Frozen?
Lol no. It's got animorphs and ice man from xmen. They get stuck on a ski lift in winter after the lodge closes. They slowly freeze to death and can't get down. Also wolves!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Return to “Movies”