bmyoungs

Facebook app on your phone

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:14 am

I'm give it a try
Tyler
Owner

Re: Facebook app on your phone

Postby Tyler » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:59 pm

FB is in the news again for listening to you and then doing ads for it. FB is denying it but people are posting evidence like this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/79i4cj/_/
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Adam was talking about this on his podcast a few weeks ago.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Facebook app on your phone

Postby Tyler » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:45 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Adam was talking about this on his podcast a few weeks ago.
Their podcast isn't just about cars?! I only listened to the first few but stopped since that isn't my interest
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:51 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
DannyFanny wrote:Adam was talking about this on his podcast a few weeks ago.
Their podcast isn't just about cars?! I only listened to the first few but stopped since that isn't my interest

It's mostly about cars. He was mentioning something about getting random ads after just talking about them.
Tyler
Owner

Facebook

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:12 am

I am such a hypocrite about all of this.
I don't like Facebook, but I love Oculus.
I think it's shady what Facebook is doing with user data, but I openly welcome Google to know everything about me.
Should I delete Facebook? Yes. Will I? Probably not.
Would my life be in any way different? I would gain a couple hours a week and lose a way to connect with some people.
CrckrJack

Facebook

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:03 am

The only time I EVER look at facebook is when Kathryn tells me to.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Facebook

Postby Blue Jackets » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:55 am

Elon Musk deleted all of his company pages after a Twitter user pointed out he uses the platform. He claims he didn't know and they were gone minutes later.
Tyler
Owner

Facebook

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:52 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Snapchat is building the same kind of data-sharing API that just got Facebook into trouble.

I don't use Snapchat, but users aren't sharing the same kind of data on this app, right? There aren't profiles? I also haven't ever seen a "share it with Snapchat" option on a website, that is how Facebook is able to track people so well.
Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Mozilla launches Facebook Container Add-On for Firefox that isolates the Facebook identity of users from rest of the web activity

I believe Ublock Origin (chrome and Firefox) can block this stuff as well if you enable it.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Facebook

Postby Blue Jackets » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:35 am

A huge movement could hit Facebook next Monday. Mike Schroepfer, its chief technology officer, announced on Wednesday that the company will place a link at the top of everyone’s news feed to a privacy tool. This tool will reveal whether a user’s data is embroiled in the Cambridge Analytica scandal — and it could reignite the #DeleteFacebook movement.
https://www.inverse.com/article/43278-d ... zuckerberg

The announcement follows CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s promise in a March 21 interview with CNN’s Laurie Segall, when he announced a tool “where anyone can go and see if their data was a part of this.” Around 270,000 people granted permissions to an app created by researcher Aleksandr Kogan called “thisisyourdigitallife,” which promised to provide personality predictions. The app’s data was given to Cambridge Analytica — which violated Facebook’s app policies — and subsequently used to target ads during political campaigns. When the story broke on March 18 it was initially thought that around 50 million people had been affected by the policy violation, but the company explained on Wednesday that the maximum theoretical number of people hit by the scandal is in fact around 87 million.
Tyler
Owner

Facebook

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:32 am

Can't wait until Monday? I've been thinking about deleting FB, my life would not be any different. Can we all delete it and just post more here? I promise I won't sell your data
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Facebook

Postby Blue Jackets » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:46 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post the company will place a link at the top of everyone’s news feed to a privacy tool. This tool will reveal whether a user’s data is embroiled in the Cambridge Analytica scandal — and it could reignite the #DeleteFacebook movement.

How will Facebook tell me if my data was harvested?
From Monday, all 2.2 billion Facebook users will receive one of two notices titled “Protecting Your Information” at the top of their news feed.

This will include a link to show people the apps they use and the information they have shared with those apps.

One of the notices will tell Facebook users whether their data may have been shared with Cambridge Analytica, Facebook’s chief technology officer Mike Schroepfer said in a blog post.

Tyler
Owner

Re: Facebook

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:16 am

Has anyone seen these notifications yet?
blake

Facebook

Postby blake » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:27 am

I don't see it yet

Return to “Off Topic”