Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Annihilation (2018)

Discuss your favorite movies
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Annihilation (2018)

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:34 am

A biologist signs up for a dangerous, secret expedition where the laws of nature don't apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufaDurSCKOk&feature=youtu.be
tylersucks

Annihilation (2018)

Postby tylersucks » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:16 pm

More Fuller trailer...... Another movie too scary for Tyler!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89OP78l9oF0
Tyler
Owner

Re: Annihilation (2018)

Postby Tyler » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:19 pm

I would see this if you went with me after work on a Friday!
wags83

Annihilation (2018)

Postby wags83 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:04 pm

I'd see this.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Annihilation (2018)

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:32 am

'Annihilation' Review Embargo doesn't lift until the day before it opens...never a good sign

However...Twitter "reactions" are allowed and they seem positive. Read some here from critics
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comment ... name=multi
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:24 am

Tested podcast talked about how dumb the Twitter reactions vs embargo reviews are. I agree.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Annihilation (2018)

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:25 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post 'Annihilation' Review Embargo doesn't lift until the day before it opens...never a good sign

However...Twitter "reactions" are allowed and they seem positive. Read some here from critics

91%
Wonder why they played it safe if the movie is actually good.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:11 am

I would see this alone tomorrow, but I have family in town. I can wait until next Friday.
wags83

Annihilation (2018)

Postby wags83 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:17 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post
Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post 'Annihilation' Review Embargo doesn't lift until the day before it opens...never a good sign

91%
Wonder why they played it safe if the movie is actually good.

Yeah that is strange. I've thought it looked good ever since I saw the first trailer. Maybe I'll see it on Sunday or something.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Annihilation (2018)

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:31 pm

http://www.talkfilmsociety.com/reviews/ ... nihilation

"A hypnotic, uncompromising story with genuine thrills and chills, it stands to be one of the most impressive genre films of 2018."

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Annihilation (2018)

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:03 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post http://www.talkfilmsociety.com/reviews/ ... nihilation

"A hypnotic, uncompromising story with genuine thrills and chills, it stands to be one of the most impressive genre films of 2018."

Go next week?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Annihilation (2018)

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:36 pm

Tyler wrote:
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post http://www.talkfilmsociety.com/reviews/ ... nihilation

Go next week?

Yah prolly.
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:15 pm

The last 20 minutes is so damn creepy! I really liked it.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Re: Annihilation (2018)

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:04 pm

Corey wrote:The last 20 minutes is so damn creepy! I really liked it.
:( I need Wilkins to protect me
wags83

Annihilation (2018)

Postby wags83 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:27 am

Went to this last night. Overall I enjoyed it. The ending of the movie got super trippy and weird. I won't say much more to avoid spoilers.
CrckrJack

Annihilation (2018)

Postby CrckrJack » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:50 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Went to this last night. Overall I enjoyed it. The ending of the movie got super trippy and weird. I won't say much more to avoid spoilers.

Agreed.

I thought it was pretty good. the ending was very unexpected. I expected something weird, but not the super trippy-ness of it. It was like trippy just to be trippy
Tyler
Owner

Annihilation (2018)

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:46 pm

I liked this movie...but it was borderline too weird for me to enjoy it at the end.

Visually the movie is stunning. Very impressed with what they could do for $40m. The world they created is so interesting. The score was also great throughout and left me feeling very anxious.

The bear screaming like the dying woman was terrifying. That made my skin crawl, speaking of which, Kane cutting open the guy and seeing the worms in him, omg, that was a bad moment to have a mouthful of popcorn.

So what the heck happened? Did real Kane kill himself and alien copy came out? Portman is the real one, but part of the copy is still in her? I didn't understand how it all ended. I was predicting the leader (with cancer) was going to be absorbed by it and she would kill it once it was infected with her cancer. That would have been interesting, but I don't think the alien was bad, it was just trying to copy humans?

One compliant was the flashback affair stuff. I kept waiting for those to have a huge plot point like the "flashbacks" in Arrival, but nothing came from them. I guess they were just there to show Kane's motivation for taking the mission?
CrckrJack

Annihilation (2018)

Postby CrckrJack » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:53 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the postSo what the heck happened? Did real Kane kill himself and alien copy came out?

This is how i interpreted it. Somehow the alien becomes the person, with some character traits embedded in them. But they are not them,, like how at the beginning when Kane "recognized" Portman, I think? But then also in the end when Portman asked him if he was Kane and he said he didn't think so.

I was typing more out but the more i typed the more confused i was getting. Because it doesn't really make sense. Portman is now an alien, right? or at least htat is what the fire in the eyes at the end of the movie suggests. But we see portman kill the alien, right? That doesn't make sense to me. If she killed the alien, then why does she have the fire? IF she didn't kill the alien how does she have all of her memories?

The soundtrack was AWESOME. Very loud, very creepy, very anxious.

Affair stuff was really dumb.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post That would have been interesting, but I don't think the alien was bad, it was just trying to copy humans?

This really made me want to rewatch a Dr Who episode, where an alien is learning what humans are. The alien starts copying what the humans are doing, movements at first, and then speaking, and then they start speaking at the same time, and then eventually the alien starts talking BEFORE the humans. Super trippy. makes your skin crawl. One of the best episodes of dr who.
wags83

Annihilation (2018)

Postby wags83 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:53 pm

I agree with both of you. Real Kane is dead, new Kane is an alien. Portman gets more complicated because we see the real her kill the alien and escape. My thoughts are that it's the real Portman but part of the alien is in her because of the time spent in the shimmer. We saw multiple instances of the shimmer environment "refracting" human DNA of the people who were in it (gross wormy intestines, angry gal talking about her fingerprints wiggling, cutter gal having flowers grow out of her scars and then turn into a flower). So I think something like that also happened to Portman and stuck with her after the shimmer was destroyed. I'm not really sure what consequences that has for the rest of the world that there's one full alien Kane and one part alien Portman that survived.
CrckrJack

Annihilation (2018)

Postby CrckrJack » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:17 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post cutter gal having flowers grow out of her scars and then turn into a flower

I wish they had showed one of the flower humans with her glasses on. Would have been neat.

Return to “Movies”