Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Downsizing - Matt Damon, Christoph Waltz, Hong Chau, and Kristen Wiig

Discuss your favorite movies
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:48 am

A social satire in which a guy realizes he would have a better life if he were to shrink himself.

https://youtu.be/UCrBICYM0yM
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:47 am

I would soooo do this. Who wouldn't want to be downsized?
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Downsizing - Matt Damon, Christoph Waltz, Hong Chau, and Kristen Wiig

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:23 am

purple_hayes wrote:I would soooo do this. Who wouldn't want to be downsized?
People that already are.... I wanna be super sized
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:58 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
purple_hayes wrote:I would soooo do this. Who wouldn't want to be downsized?
People that already are.... I wanna be super sized

but in a Downsized world... you'd be a giant. I mean, if your $52,000 is equal to 12.5 mi in Downsized land... sign me up.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:16 am

This is a really neat idea for a movie and I want to see it!
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Omg i just saw a trailer for this on youtube and it gave me like... the worst anxiety i have ever had.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:32 pm

We saw this on Christmas Eve day. It was a fun idea for a movie but the resulting movie wasn't as fun as I wanted it to be. Spoilers below.

The first half or so of the movie was pretty much what I was expecting. It explained how downsizing came to be and goes through the dilemma of going through with it. It shows the downsizing towns and how you can have everything when you're downsized. It shows how Kristen Wiig screws over Matt Damon by not going through with it at the last second after Matt Damon already had the procedure. It shows Matt Damon trying to cope with life as a newly single, newly downsized guy and trying to figure out his place in this new world. All of that was fun and interesting.

Then it takes a turn. The turn it takes didn't have to make the movie bad. Matt Damon starts helping people who are less fortunate which is cool, but then it starts getting super preachy about climate change and how the world is doomed. Again, not an inherently bad message, but the way they do it is so convoluted and almost contradicts itself. They go to the original downsized settlement in Norway and the original downsized people decide that the world is doomed so they have built a vault deep underground where they can go so that the human race can survive. Matt Damon gets all excited about the idea and decides to join them because it's for the greater good and the individual people they help back home don't matter in the grand scheme of things. But then, as they are about to seal the vault, he changes his mind and decides to go back. The moral of the story seems to be "The world is screwed, but it's stupid to try to do anything about it, so just help the people you can help and let others fix the bigger issues."

Other things that annoyed me about it:
-The movie was marketed as a comedy. I think I would still keep it in that category but barely. There were moments of comedic relief but it wasn't hilarious by any means.
-Kristen Wiig and Jason Sudeikis were barely in the movie at all. I would have liked to see Matt Damon interacting with Sudeikis more as that could have made it funnier. Also, it would have been funny to see Damon interact with Wiig after he was shrunk and she was still normal sized.
-Damon's character kind of starts dating a downsized gal after he gets settled in the downsized community. They never state how long they've been dating, but it seems to be a fairly brand new relationship. She has a kid and Damon wants to meet the kid, but she says she's not comfortable with that and that it's too soon. Damon immediately gets pissed and kicks her out. I don't think that's an appropriate response. She never said "You can never meet my child", but simply that it's a little too early, which I think is reasonable. But anyway, we never see her again (played by Kerri Kenney of Reno 911 fame)
-The movie brings things up that seem like they should be relevant later, but aren't. A couple examples: When Damon and Wiig have a "going away" kind of party before getting downsized, a drunk guy at the bar comes up and starts saying how downsized people shouldn't have the same rights as regular people because they don't contribute as much to the economy and they are making property values lower by leaving their regular sized homes vacant. That could have been a good point of conflict to have later in the movie, but it's never brought up again. Another is how Damon gets a job in a call center once he's downsized, they show him at work a couple times, but he doesn't seem to need to be there as he can go off to help in the poor part of town seemingly any time he wants.
-Christoph Waltz is a very interesting character, but is never explained. He's a rich, European guy who got downsized and seems to have a ton of influence within the worldwide downsized community, but it's never explained how or why he has this influence. His only real reason for being in the movie is to bring Matt Damon to the original settlement in Norway.

Overall, it was a disappointing movie. Not terrible, but not good, and definitely not as good as I was hoping. Probably worth going to if you have moviepass, otherwise I'd wait for rental.
Corey
Site Admin

Re: RE: Downsizing - Matt Damon, Christoph Waltz, Hong Chau, and Kristen Wiig

Postby Corey » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:19 pm

wags83 wrote:We saw this on Christmas Eve day. It was a fun idea for a movie but the resulting movie wasn't as fun as I wanted it to be. Spoilers below.

The first half or so of the movie was pretty much what I was expecting. It explained how downsizing came to be and goes through the dilemma of going through with it. It shows the downsizing towns and how you can have everything when you're downsized. It shows how Kristen Wiig screws over Matt Damon by not going through with it at the last second after Matt Damon already had the procedure. It shows Matt Damon trying to cope with life as a newly single, newly downsized guy and trying to figure out his place in this new world. All of that was fun and interesting.

Then it takes a turn. The turn it takes didn't have to make the movie bad. Matt Damon starts helping people who are less fortunate which is cool, but then it starts getting super preachy about climate change and how the world is doomed. Again, not an inherently bad message, but the way they do it is so convoluted and almost contradicts itself. They go to the original downsized settlement in Norway and the original downsized people decide that the world is doomed so they have built a vault deep underground where they can go so that the human race can survive. Matt Damon gets all excited about the idea and decides to join them because it's for the greater good and the individual people they help back home don't matter in the grand scheme of things. But then, as they are about to seal the vault, he changes his mind and decides to go back. The moral of the story seems to be "The world is screwed, but it's stupid to try to do anything about it, so just help the people you can help and let others fix the bigger issues."

-The movie was marketed as a comedy. I think I would still keep it in that category but barely. There were moments of comedic relief but it wasn't hilarious by any means.
-Kristen Wiig and Jason Sudeikis were barely in the movie at all. I would have liked to see Matt Damon interacting with Sudeikis more as that could have made it funnier. Also, it would have been funny to see Damon interact with Wiig after he was shrunk and she was still normal sized.
-Damon's character kind of starts dating a downsized gal after he gets settled in the downsized community. They never state how long they've been dating, but it seems to be a fairly brand new relationship. She has a kid and Damon wants to meet the kid, but she says she's not comfortable with that and that it's too soon. Damon immediately gets pissed and kicks her out. I don't think that's an appropriate response. She never said "You can never meet my child", but simply that it's a little too early, which I think is reasonable. But anyway, we never see her again (played by Kerri Kenney of Reno 911 fame)
-The movie brings things up that seem like they should be relevant later, but aren't. A couple examples: When Damon and Wiig have a "going away" kind of party before getting downsized, a drunk guy at the bar comes up and starts saying how downsized people shouldn't have the same rights as regular people because they don't contribute as much to the economy and they are making property values lower by leaving their regular sized homes vacant. That could have been a good point of conflict to have later in the movie, but it's never brought up again. Another is how Damon gets a job in a call center once he's downsized, they show him at work a couple times, but he doesn't seem to need to be there as he can go off to help in the poor part of town seemingly any time he wants.
-Christoph Waltz is a very interesting character, but is never explained. He's a rich, European guy who got downsized and seems to have a ton of influence within the worldwide downsized community, but it's never explained how or why he has this influence. His only real reason for being in the movie is to bring Matt Damon to the original settlement in Norway.

Overall, it was a disappointing movie. Not terrible, but not good, and definitely not as good as I was hoping. Probably worth going to if you have moviepass, otherwise I'd wait for rental.
This.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:We saw this on Christmas Eve day. It was a fun idea for a movie but the resulting movie wasn't as fun as I wanted it to be. Spoilers below.

This.

well that is disappointing! probably won't see it then
Tyler
Owner

Re: Downsizing - Matt Damon, Christoph Waltz, Hong Chau, and Kristen Wiig

Postby Tyler » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:12 am

Wow what a bummer. I'll probably see it at home eventually but I won't bother with theaters.
Erin

Postby Erin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:20 am

To add to points made- I liked the beginning, but when they were in Norway I dozed off for about 5-10min. Not exactly an edge of your seat comedy

The visuals were funny to see how everything looked when you were downsized, but agree overall it wasn’t a strong comedy.
Wallinguana

Postby Wallinguana » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:59 pm

Why was this not marketed as the movie where Matt Damon gets yelled at by a Vietnamese woman for an hour and a half? I would have seen it so much sooner.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:25 am

Wallinguana wrote:Source of the post Why was this not marketed as the movie where Matt Damon gets yelled at by a Vietnamese woman for an hour and a half? I would have seen it so much sooner.

Lol, that would have been a more accurate marketing campaign.

Return to “Movies”