XFL: Controversial football league set to return in 2020

Talk about anything.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:28 am

https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/this ... n-in-2020/

Official statement:
This is the future. This is not the past. This is the future. And the future moves fast. This is quicker, simpler. Rules, reformed. This is your game safer. This is football reborn. This is gaming and fantasy, this is padded roulette. Make a trade, make a team, make a move, make a bet. This is fans above all. This is maximum action. Less stall more ball. Fewer infractions. This begins in 2020. The future is near. More access. More everyone. More everything here. This is our moment, our story to tell. This is history begun. This is the XFL.

McMahon confirmed the XFL would be a single-entity structure consisting of eight league-owned teams in cities that have not yet been determined.
he wants games to be sped up and played perhaps in as quick as two hours.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:58 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post This is quicker, simpler. Rules, reformed. This is your game safer.

How is XFL safer than NFL?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:11 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post This is quicker, simpler. Rules, reformed. This is your game safer.

How is XFL safer than NFL?

I was wondering that too when I saw this first statement. From what I remembered from the first (failed) try at the XFL is that it was a more violent/extreme version of football.

I spent some time yesterday reading a bunch of the XFL wikipedia page because I couldn't remember a lot of the rules/gimmicks that differentiated it from the NFL. One stat that stood out regarding the more violence aspect is that only 2 of the 8 teams ended the season with the same starting QB due to injuries, and 2 teams actually ended the year on a 3rd QB.
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:16 am

Everyone needs to watch 30 for 30: This Was the XFL. It is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PIboflGFcA
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:17 am

Corey wrote:Everyone needs to watch the 30 for 30 on the XFL. It is really good.
Yes it is

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: XFL: Controversial football league set to return in 2020

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:18 am

I don't even care about sports but I'll watch that. From what I read the reason XFL failed wasn't because it was controversial, it failed because it was rushed and half baked idea.

I guess WWE has always treated concussions serious, long before the NFL did, and since WWE ran XFL they cared about safety more than you would think. Regardless tho, no way it is safer
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:07 pm

This was also something interesting regarding the safety aspect
Instead of a pre-game coin toss, XFL officials put the ball on the ground and let a player from each team scramble for it to determine who received the kickoff option. The practice was dubbed "The Human Coin Toss" by commentators, and one player famously separated his shoulder on the first scramble, missing the rest of the season
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:01 pm

Haha. I would be shocked if this actually came back with the way safety trends are going.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 pm

Watching the 30 for 30 now. I don't remember the sexuality of the cheerleaders and encouraging players to date them.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:59 pm

Pretty good ending when Dick and Vince talked together after what's implied the first time since the XFL failed.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:33 pm

First XFL game draws 3.3 million TV viewers on ABC

The original XFL debut back in 2001 drew 14 million and the average viewership for NFL games last season was 15.8 million. But it's not 2001 and XFL is no NFL, so 3.3 is decent. Vince McMahon's other venture, WWE, has shows which pull about 2.6 million a week.

I read the kickoff is different, how?
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:40 pm

Blockers and defenders line up halfway between kicker and end zone and can't move until ball is caught. So there is no running start by defenders.

In theory this will both make kick returns be more explosive with big return potential and also limit injuries where to meet run full speed into each other.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:41 pm

I watched a bit, the football was meh. I enjoyed hearing the playcalling and thought the in game interviews of players was weird. The live on can F bomb was pretty fantastic

wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:28 am

We had it on in the background for a bit while drinking heavily at a bachelor party. It was fine. Better than AAF, but I can't imagine it will succeed long term.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:45 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post In theory this will both make kick returns be more explosive with big return potential and also limit injuries where to meet run full speed into each other.

So something in the XFL is safer than the NFL? I thought XFL was suppose to be MORE INTENSE IN EVERY WAY!!

I read a little about it on Reddit and seems the extra production with the mics and interviews are what people are liking the most. XFL introduced the over shoulder camera that NFL uses today, maybe NFL will take more stuff from them.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:37 am

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post In theory this will both make kick returns be more explosive with big return potential and also limit injuries where to meet run full speed into each other.

So something in the XFL is safer than the NFL? I thought XFL was suppose to be MORE INTENSE IN EVERY WAY!!

I read a little about it on Reddit and seems the extra production with the mics and interviews are what people are liking the most. XFL introduced the over shoulder camera that NFL uses today, maybe NFL will take more stuff from them.
The new version seems to just be higher access with some new rules. Over the air playcalling was interesting. It also seems they completely eliminated the kicking extra point which made it neat, although the scoring in games I saw was lower than I'd expect

wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:04 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post It also seems they completely eliminated the kicking extra point which made it neat

I do like the extra point options. No kicking, you run an actual play. 1 point play from the 2 yard line. 2 point play from the 5 yard line. 3 point play from the 10 yard line.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:10 pm

That is extreme!!!!

Return to “Off Topic”