Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Westworld Producers Claim They'll Spoil All of Season 2 if Reddit Comment Gets Enough Upvotes

Artukka

Westworld Producers Claim They'll Spoil All of Season 2 if Reddit Comment Gets Enough Upvotes

Postby Artukka » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Here's the post
Quoted:
Hey Reddit!

Many thanks for your great questions and thoughts. As I've said before, I've been a member of the reddit community for years (no I'm not going to share my original username...). And I greatly enjoyed watching the friendly folks at this subreddit guess the twists and turns of the season.

It creates a larger problem for us, though, in terms of the way your guesswork is reported online. 'Theories' can actually be spoilers, and the line between the two is confusing. It's something we've been thinking about since last season. The fans of Game of Thrones, for instance, rallied around and protected the secrets of the narrative in part because they already knew those secrets (through season 5).

We thought about this long and hard, and came to a difficult (and potentially highly controversial) decision. If you guys agree, we're going to post a video that lays out the plot (and twists and turns) of season 2. Everything. The whole sordid thing. Up front. That way the members of the community here who want the season spoiled for them can watch ahead, and then protect the rest of the community, and help to distinguish between what's 'theory' and what's spoiler.

It's a new age, and a new world in terms of the relationship between the folks making shows and the community watching them. And trust is a big part of that. We've made our cast part of this decision, and they're fully supportive. We're so excited to be in this with you guys together. So if this post reaches a 1000 upvotes we'll deliver the goods.

Hasta victoria siempre!

Jonah and Lisa
Last edited by Artukka on Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:48 pm

I see where they're coming from, but I think this is a fairly poor idea. It'll make it a lot easier for people to maliciously spoil the season, and it'll also spoil a lot of the fun for people coming up with and crowdsourcing theories if everyone knows the answer is already out there. It could put a damper on interest in the show.

I don't think it'll impact my own personal viewing plans though, unless I do get maliciously spoiled.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Yeah I can see both sides of it. There are too many dickish people on the internet that will definitely ruin it for others.

My main vote against doing it is that I have no self control and would certainly spoil the whole damn thing for myself without really wanting to.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:15 pm

Also, does the main thread need 1000 upvotes for them to spoil or that particular comment? Currently the main thread is at 363 and the comment is at 183. I'm guessing it's the comment.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:20 pm

This has to a be troll right? This is like a dad catching his son smoking a cigarette and making him smoke the whole pack. "You like predicting stuff so much, the here! Have the whole damn plot and have nothing left to theorize on."
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:05 am

I'm not a Reddit reader... but I have one question. What day was that Reddit post originally written on? Could this be an April Fools joke?
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

‘Batgirl’ Movie: Joss Whedon Directing Solo Film

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:05 am

He posted it
► Show Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7oeROkyPgs
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Westworld Producers Claim They'll Spoil All of Season 2 if Reddit Comment Gets Enough Upvotes

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:39 am

purple_hayes wrote:I'm not a Reddit reader... but I have one question. What day was that Reddit post originally written on? Could this be an April Fools joke?
Yesterday.

Based on the video it was all a troll?
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:52 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
purple_hayes wrote:I'm not a Reddit reader... but I have one question. What day was that Reddit post originally written on? Could this be an April Fools joke?
Yesterday.

Based on the video it was all a troll?

There is no way HBO would allow them to spoil the season. Granted, the hack that gave all the spoilers for GoT didn't harm the ratings for the show, but still its a huge gamble to release all the twists and turns of a show.

Return to “Westworld”