Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Things you don't know, but should as an adult

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:11 am

What are some things you are embarrassed to admit you don't know enough about? Does someone have to explain taxes or benefits to you? Do you get confused in the drugstore?

On Friday I had my yearly bio metrics screening done. She took my blood pressure and said the number. I have never understood what XX over YY meant. I always just have a dumb blank look on my face and hope the nurse says "....that's normal"
cjroz

Postby cjroz » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:14 am

I'm pretty incompetent when it comes to money things.

But I DO KNOW the mitochondria is the powerhouse do the cell, surface area to volume ratio is v important, and SOH CAH TOA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Things you don't know, but should as an adult

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:24 am

cjroz wrote:I'm pretty incompetent when it comes to money things.

But I DO KNOW the mitochondria is the powerhouse do the cell, surface area to volume ratio is v important, and SOH CAH TOA.

What kind of money things?

I always refer to kidney beans as mitochondria, the powerhouse of the cell.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:43 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post On Friday I had my yearly bio metrics screening done. She took my blood pressure and said the number. I have never understood what XX over YY meant. I always just have a dumb blank look on my face and hope the nurse says "....that's normal"

I always just blatantly ask if that's good. I don't even pretend.

I have trouble understanding basic carpentry things. I can never get anything to line up, I suck at electrical work. I have trouble doing simple shit like getting grout and sealers to not look like crap. I wish I could take a class at DMACC that says "stuff your dad should've taught you" or "How to be even a basic man" 101
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:11 am

cwilkins88 wrote:
Tyler wrote:Source of the post On Friday I had my yearly bio metrics screening done. She took my blood pressure and said the number. I have never understood what XX over YY meant. I always just have a dumb blank look on my face and hope the nurse says "....that's normal"

I always just blatantly ask if that's good. I don't even pretend.

I have trouble understanding basic carpentry things. I can never get anything to line up, I suck at electrical work. I have trouble doing simple shit like getting grout and sealers to not look like crap. I wish I could take a class at DMACC that says "stuff your dad should've taught you" or "How to be even a basic man" 101

I don't think most people are expected to know all of that. The fact that you're willing to try (and learn through failure) makes you above the average.
tylersucks

Postby tylersucks » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:26 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I have trouble understanding basic carpentry things. I can never get anything to line up, I suck at electrical work. I have trouble doing simple shit like getting grout and sealers to not look like crap. I wish I could take a class at DMACC that says "stuff your dad should've taught you" or "How to be even a basic man" 101

We need to hang out more Chris.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:32 am

tylersucks wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I have trouble understanding basic carpentry things. I can never get anything to line up, I suck at electrical work. I have trouble doing simple shit like getting grout and sealers to not look like crap. I wish I could take a class at DMACC that says "stuff your dad should've taught you" or "How to be even a basic man" 101

We need to hang out more Chris.

Agreed. I'll pretend you're my dad while we do. I'll call you papa
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:54 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Agreed. I'll pretend you're my dad while we do. I'll call you papa

Big papa*
tylersucks

Postby tylersucks » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:58 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Agreed. I'll pretend you're my dad while we do. I'll call you papa

Big papa*

Now, bend over
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:39 pm

I don't think I would ever cook for anyone other than myself. I think the food I make is fine but it is horribly bland to 95% of other people. My sister still makes fun of me for eating plain chicken and putting a tomato slice on it and calling it good.

Disclaimer: I also don't think it is "good" but it is fine to me. Very boring, but fulfills the need of food. Would I rather eat chinese food? obviously.
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:04 pm

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post I don't think I would ever cook for anyone other than myself. I think the food I make is fine but it is horribly bland to 95% of other people. My sister still makes fun of me for eating plain chicken and putting a tomato slice on it and calling it good.

Disclaimer: I also don't think it is "good" but it is fine to me. Very boring, but fulfills the need of food. Would I rather eat chinese food? obviously.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:35 pm

CrckrJack wrote:I don't think I would ever cook for anyone other than myself. I think the food I make is fine but it is horribly bland to 95% of other people. My sister still makes fun of me for eating plain chicken and putting a tomato slice on it and calling it good.

To be fair we would also make fun of you when you would bring a plain ol' (boiled?) chicken breast to work.
Kath525

Postby Kath525 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:28 pm

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:54 am

I've been trying to think more of this, but you don't know what you don't know?

Crckrjack's cooking one was good. Jocelyn does 90% of the cooking and when I volunteer it's quesadillas or frozen pizza. I never learned how to be a real adult and cook healthy food for myself.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:56 am

I never really learned properly how to do laundry. All through college and after I basically kept all loads on the same settings on the washer no matter what it was. Now Erin does laundry, so I guess I'll never learn.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:58 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I never really learned properly how to do laundry. All through college and after I basically kept all loads on the same settings on the washer no matter what it was. Now Erin does laundry, so I guess I'll never learn.

Sorting colors is for scrubs. I never really touch temp, but I do a load of "delicates" once a week for Jocelyn's work clothes.
Erin

Postby Erin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:47 am

This may sound 1950s, but I'm not confident sewing. I'd always have my mom fix a hole or help hem clothing. I was gifted a sewing machine years back (that I haven't touched recently) but don't keep the basic needle, thread and sheers handy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:16 am

Erin wrote:Source of the post This may sound 1950s, but I'm not confident sewing.

As a woman, it is your role to know how to sew.

But really, I have tried sewing on buttons back on before and they never make it more than 1 wash. I just assume if I did enough loops it would work, but it never does. Kind of related, I never learned to tie a fishing knot. 100% of hooks I have tied in my life have fallen off by the end of the day. I haven't fished in over a decade, but even has a teenage I had to have my dad tie my knots.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:25 pm

I also don't understand blood pressure. I am very good at math and was very good at accounting in school, but I am sooooooooo bad at accounting in real life. I understand everything and even say "oh I should be doing this" but I don't do any of it!

My entire life has been good guesses so far, and I'll just keep guessing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Kath525

Postby Kath525 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:08 pm

I will help everyone here with blood pressure and other medical questions.

Tyler, I can teach you to sew and to tie a fishing hook knot.

While buying a car and a house this last month I realized I don’t have a handle on the jargon of it all. Conceptually I understand what’s happening and what I’m signing and where my money is going and what it’s going towards but I couldn’t explain it to someone else.

Return to “Off Topic”