Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

MoviePass - $9.95/month for unlimited theater movies

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Re: MoviePass - $9.95/month for unlimited theater movies

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:49 pm

CEO released a letter. This is part of it:

We must reduce availability for big new-release titles, such as Mission: Impossible - Fallout and other popular new releases, at least for a while as we adjust the business model. We are working on making this more clear in the app so you know which titles are available.

Showtimes that are offered through our service will vary from day to day, and every showtime may not be available. We encourage you to check the MoviePass app for showtimes before you leave for the theater
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:58 pm

Ah, so the movies that are available are going to have limited show times. More good news.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: MoviePass - $9.95/month for unlimited theater movies

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:13 pm

wags83 wrote:Ah, so the movies that are available are going to have limited show times. More good news.
Exactly. What a rip.

On the plus side, the ticket to fix my phone was actually addressed today. I'm back logged in. Happened 2 hours into Mission Impossible, which I couldn't have used it on anyways
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:38 pm

From an article today:
MoviePass has paid back a $6.2 million emergency loan in full, the struggling ticketing company said in public filings on Wednesday.

It’s a rare bit of good news for a service that was forced to seek out the infusion of cash because it could not meet its financial obligations. On Tuesday, MoviePass announced that it was raising its prices from $9.99 to $14.95 per month over the next 30 days, as well as limiting access to nearly all Hollywood blockbusters within their first two weeks of release. MoviePass’s parent company, Helios and Matheson, said these steps will reduce its cash burn rate by 60%.

Did they announce the $15 price? It wasn't in the email yesterday, right?
Erin

Postby Erin » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm

I cancelled yesterday. Won't be able to get out on our own for a while and all the restrictions make it even less appealing to keep it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:58 pm

Erin wrote:I cancelled yesterday. Won't be able to get out on our own for a while and all the restrictions make it even less appealing to keep it.

Smart move. I'll likely be cancelling soon. I think only me, Kathryn, Tim, and Travis are left.
Watson2000

Postby Watson2000 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:58 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Erin wrote:I cancelled yesterday. Won't be able to get out on our own for a while and all the restrictions make it even less appealing to keep it.

Smart move. I'll likely be cancelling soon. I think only me, Kathryn, Tim, and Travis are left.

I haven't cancelled yet, waiting to see what they do this weekend. But the having to wait 2 weeks for new releases is a pretty good sign that I'm out...
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:26 am

Watson2000 wrote:
I haven't cancelled yet, waiting to see what they do this weekend. But the having to wait 2 weeks for new releases is a pretty good sign that I'm out...

I'm trying to click on random theaters for today just to see if only one showing is available like some cities, but none of the theaters are even opening on the app for me.

Edit: am able to click movie and then see where it is showing. Looks like they still have quite a few showings for the ones I clicked, but 3-5pm of some are gone. It's hard knowing if it's missing or if there just wasn't a showing there.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:14 am

But staying $10... This actually works for me still. Rare I see over 3 movies a month.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Re: MoviePass - $9.95/month for unlimited theater movies

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:18 am

Tyler wrote:I want to check mine...but can't get into app. I'm probably only around 15
JK. 33. Would be more if the app worked last week for the 2 movies I saw.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:52 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
But staying $10... This actually works for me still. Rare I see over 3 movies a month.

Yeah, but non-summer fridays!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Surge pricing is going away, but not all new releases will be available first week. "Many" will be though. I'm keeping it for the time being.
Watson2000

Postby Watson2000 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Surge pricing is going away, but not all new releases will be available first week. "Many" will be though. I'm keeping it for the time being.

Well, I cancelled on Friday. If I would of known surge pricing was going away, I might of stuck it out. I did find it interesting that when I canceled, I was informed that I wouldn't be able to join again for 9 months. Why 9 months? Did market research show a lot of expecting mothers didn't want to use MoviePass when pregnant?

For that matter, why any months? You would think they would want my money and subscription status.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Watson2000 wrote:
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Surge pricing is going away, but not all new releases will be available first week. "Many" will be though. I'm keeping it for the time being.

Well, I cancelled on Friday. If I would of known surge pricing was going away, I might of stuck it out. I did find it interesting that when I canceled, I was informed that I wouldn't be able to join again for 9 months. Why 9 months? Did market research show a lot of expecting mothers didn't want to use MoviePass when pregnant?

For that matter, why any months? You would think they would want my money and subscription status.

It was originally put in place last October when it was unlimited movies. It was to stop people from only using the app during the summer, cancelling, reinstating their membership for award season, and then cancelling again until next summer.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:10 pm

Just sign up with a new email. No need to wait. Megatron cancelled hers when she lost her card and opened with a new email because it was faster than waiting for them to ship a replacement card.
Travis

Postby Travis » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:43 am

Lasts two of the movies that are in local theater says this premium screening not supported so can’t click on those movies to get ticket to watch
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:04 pm

Travis wrote:Source of the post Lasts two of the movies that are in local theater says this premium screening not supported so can’t click on those movies to get ticket to watch

That sucks. For bigger theaters I think you'll need to wait 2 weeks or so and then those movies will become available. That might not work in smaller theaters that only keep some movies for a couple weeks.

Hopefully once all the new new changes go into play they unlock more first run movies
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:42 am

Another article about bad news. App was down the other day and before it was done it was offering VERY limited choices.

link
Travis

Postby Travis » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:35 pm

For my therater it’s only offer The Meg movie

Return to “Movies”