Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Boardgames

Talk about anything.
bmyoungs

Re: RE: Re: Boardgames

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:27 pm

Tyler wrote:Unless Evie can count as a person there's no way we could be consistent enough to play. We can't even get our butts out of the house for trivia anymore.

Yeah kind of why we wanted to get it finished before we moved, and had the baby.
bmyoungs

Re: Boardgames

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:28 pm

We want to set it up and put it into a coffee table or frame it for the man cave.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:36 pm

Nice. I loved the regular version. Will try it out
Tyler
Owner

Boardgames

Postby Tyler » Mon May 16, 2016 6:37 am

We played Codenames over the weekend. It's a competitive word game. There is a 5x5 grid of 1 word cards. Each team has 1 clue giver, and 1+ guessers. The clue givers know 8 cards they need to claim to win the game. They have to give 1 word clues plus a number to indicate how many cards are related to that word. Some examples we had.

Hamburger: 2 = calf. press.
Rapunzel: 4 = tower, princess, novel, plot

If a team guesses wrong and the card was owned by the other team then they get the point. There are also cards that no one owns and guessing one of those would also end your turn. 1 card on the board is an assassin and if anyone incorrectly guesses that card they immediately lose and the game is over. We had a couple very close calls, but no one ever guessed the assassin.

Game is very easy to pick up on and the rounds go relatively fast. The more we played the better clue combinations we were giving. Totally worth buying considering the sub $20 price. There are ways to play with 2 or 3 players, but I think 4 is the sweet spot.

http://www.amazon.com/Czech-Games-00031 ... =codenames
Tyler
Owner

Boardgames

Postby Tyler » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:43 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post We played Codenames over the weekend. It's a competitive word game. There is a 5x5 grid of 1 word cards. Each team has 1 clue giver, and 1+ guessers. The clue givers know 8 cards they need to claim to win the game. They have to give 1 word clues plus a number to indicate how many cards are related to that word. Some examples we had.

Hamburger: 2 = calf. press.
Rapunzel: 4 = tower, princess, novel, plot

If a team guesses wrong and the card was owned by the other team then they get the point. There are also cards that no one owns and guessing one of those would also end your turn. 1 card on the board is an assassin and if anyone incorrectly guesses that card they immediately lose and the game is over. We had a couple very close calls, but no one ever guessed the assassin.

Game is very easy to pick up on and the rounds go relatively fast. The more we played the better clue combinations we were giving. Totally worth buying considering the sub $20 price. There are ways to play with 2 or 3 players, but I think 4 is the sweet spot.

http://www.amazon.com/Czech-Games-00031 ... =codenames

One sale for $14.39. Everyone who plays this game likes it (except for crckrjack)
http://slickdeals.net/f/9055523-codenam ... featured-c
Tyler
Owner

Boardgames

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:46 am

Finally got around to playing Sheriff of Nottingham the other weekend when friends were visiting. I've brought the game to Sheldon 3 different times and no one ever wanted to try, but HussBuss helped force a group together so we could play.

It is very similar to liars dice, but with a story and cards/characters. We started off kind of figuring things out as we went, but by the end of the game we understood the rules. Our only mistake was we didn't discuss the full scoring rules up front so during the game people didn't know what strategy to be playing with. The next time we play with be a lot smoother and even more fun.
bmyoungs

Boardgames

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Pre-ordered pandemic legacy season 2. I think it comes out tomorrow so I hope I get it shortly after.

Season 1 was awesome, and I'm really excited for season 2.

If you have a group of 3-4 people who could regularly meet for games this is a must play.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Boardgames

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:22 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post If you have a group of 3-4 people who could regularly meet for games this is a must play.

You aren't allowed to have stable friends! You have a 1 year old.
bmyoungs

Boardgames

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:12 am

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post If you have a group of 3-4 people who could regularly meet for games this is a must play.

You aren't allowed to have stable friends! You have a 1 year old.
Playing it with same people as we played season 1. Pre baby friends.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
wags83

Boardgames

Postby wags83 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:58 am

More like BOREDgames!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:05 am

I'm an anal nerd so I picked up some more of these hard plastic card holders. They are meant for baseball cards, but they work great for games that don't have a board. It reduces the space Codenames takes up by 75%. I also had some trivia card games that came in large boxes even though they just used playing cards. Here's the ones I did today.

Codenames pictures.
Batman love letter
Pass the popcorn
Pop culture trivia.

I already had 2 other versions of Codenames packed this way.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:15 pm

New game that Bmyoungs told me to buy. Evie always likes to punch out the pieces

Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Boardgames

Postby Huss Buss » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:25 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post New game that Bmyoungs told me to buy. Evie always likes to punch out the pieces

play it yet?
Tyler
Owner

Boardgames

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Huss Buss wrote:Source of the post play it yet?

Nope. It's 10+ so Evie won't actually be playing with us, but she likes to play with all of our games and their different pieces.

Maybe this weekend I will make Jocelyn play since it is 2-4 players, but I should learn the rules first.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Boardgames

Postby Blue Jackets » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:14 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post id also suggest getting new world, carcassonne, and small world.

Some of these mobile app versions are on sale for $2
Slickdeals
Tyler
Owner

Boardgames

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:25 am

Just bought Carcassonne. I still haven't played the boardgame version I got a few months ago, but maybe I can learn the game via the app and then teach people IRL.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:26 pm

We played our first game of Candy Land with Evie. She was going to lose by 75% of the board but got lucky with a card and then beat us both! She only kind of understood how she won, but she understood drawing the cards and moving.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Boardgames

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post We played our first game of Candy Land with Evie. She was going to lose by 75% of the board but got lucky with a card and then beat us both! She only kind of understood how she won, but she understood drawing the cards and moving.

Way to start a long line of addiction!!!

We've been playing some board games, that are super boring for the most part, but they're starting to understand strategy more and can read simpler words. I'm hoping to teach them some more advanced games in the next year, but we'll see.

Return to “Off Topic”