Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Oculus Rift S

Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:49 am

In the wake of the overhaul’s cancellation, the company will be pursuing a more modest product update — possibly called the “Rift S” — to be released as early as next year, which makes minor upgrades to the device’s display resolution while more notably getting rid of the external sensor-tracking system, sources tell us. Instead, the headset will utilize the integrated “inside-out” Insight tracking system, which is core to Facebook’s recently announced Oculus Quest standalone headset.

Link
In the article it talks about cancelling Rift 2. That was big news last week, but Facebook said they are still working on future versions of Rift.
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:06 pm

This still isn't confirmed, but there is more evidence for it.

It will have inside out tracking like WMR and will hopefully cost less than the Rift. I would get it in a heartbeat if it was $300ish and I would sell my Samsung. I miss having an Oculus proper headset. Resolution would matter tho, I don't want to go back to base Rift resolution. Samsung isn't drastically higher, but it is high enough that I would notice the downgrade going to Rift's.
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:38 am

Rumor is it is announced next week at GDC. Here's hoping! Would be an instant buy from me at $350 or less, assuming I can sell the Samsung for around $200.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:07 pm

Reading this VR book is getting me hyped for new hardware. Rift S is still not officially announced, but rumors point to it being announced and on shelves this week. Oculus/FB did something similar (but not as drastic with the Go). My local BBY have no Rifts in stock, same with Amazon and many other stores.

If it's $299 it's an instant buy for me. Quest is $399 confirmed and has to have CPU on a chip, battery, etc.

Pie in the sky announcement is the Quest can be stand alone and tethered. At $399 that would be an instant buy as well.

Nothing big came out of GDC other than Quest demos. Word on the floor is that Oculus were giving out demos to something with an embargo on it until Wednesday. It hope it's more than just Quest games
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:35 am

No one cares and I am already pingning most of the guys about this. $400. This spring. A lot of pros and cons. I will probably get it.
wags83

Oculus Rift S

Postby wags83 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:58 am

Cons outweigh the pros in my opinion from what you've told me. I'll keep the regular Rift for now since I don't use it enough to justify an "upgrade."

Like I mentioned in the chat, if I were to make a change, I'd go with the Quest over the S.
bmyoungs

Oculus Rift S

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:17 pm

Yeah it's be a quest user for sure. If I can find a buyer for my rift I'll order a quest

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:01 pm

Going from Rift to Rift S doesn't makes sense for anyone. Going from no Rift to Rift S does.

I think Quest would be a great compliment to Rift, but I would want more. Also like we discussed in the chat, I think most of the guys here could only have a Quest and be content.

I could see a world where Rift OG becomes popular and expensive in the used marketed because you can't buy new ones now and the S isn't good enough to get Rift guys to switch over and sell their used ones.

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”