Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Oculus Quest (previously Santa Cruz) at OC5

bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:08 pm

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Got in some beat saber and pistol whip practice tonight before people come over on Thanksgiving. Gotta be ready to impress

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Do you have a circle Chromecast? The screen share works really nicely. Virtually no lag. Very helpful to be able to see what is going on to walk people through menus and people like to watch
I have one at work so I'll being it home just for this I didn't realize there was a screen share

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:29 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I have one at work so I'll being it home just for this I didn't realize there was a screen share

You can share with the mobile device with Oculus app installed or the newer designed Chromecast.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:19 pm

Hand tracking rolling out now. Only native menus and browser are supported for now.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:47 pm

Interesting

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:28 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Hand tracking rolling out now. Only native menus and browser are supported for now.

I forgot to say I tried this over the holiday break. It feels like magic. You need to go into settings to enable it and it is very limited what you can do, but it's mindblowing to see your actual hands in VR and have all of the movement captured. I just navigated around the menus and typed on the virtual floating keybaord a bit. I can confidently say I am fasting at everything with controllers, but it was still neat to play around with.

In order to click something you need to line up your hand and then touch your thumb to your index finger to select it, because of this it is faster to use the controller and press a button.

I heard there are some tech demos you can sideload that start showing off the true potential
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:36 pm

Got this today! Wasn't supposed to arrive until Friday, so pleasantly surprised. Downloading Vader Immortal right now. Played through the demo for Space Pirate Trainer, might need to buy that one as it's pretty fun. Cord will be here Friday for tethering to PC so I can play the rest of my library.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Oculus Quest (previously Santa Cruz) at OC5

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:24 am

wags83 wrote:Got this today! Wasn't supposed to arrive until Friday, so pleasantly surprised. Downloading Vader Immortal right now. Played through the demo for Space Pirate Trainer, might need to buy that one as it's pretty fun. Cord will be here Friday for tethering to PC so I can play the rest of my library.
One of us. One of us.

Is this your first time using an Oculus headset that has no headphones but uses speakers instead?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:49 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Is this your first time using an Oculus headset that has no headphones but uses speakers instead?

Yeah, I was curious how that would be, but it was fine.

Really like the Quest. Set up is so easy and fast. Could immediately notice the higher resolution because of being able to easily read text in the headset. Ended up playing through the first episode of Vader Immortal.

I think I had the battery initially charged to around 50ish%. After playing the demo for Space Pirate Trainer, Erin also playing through that demo, downloading the 3 episodes of Vader Immortal, and then playing through the first episode, battery was down to almost dead, I think under 10%. Is that pretty normal battery life?
Tyler
Owner

Re: Oculus Quest (previously Santa Cruz) at OC5

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:36 am

Hard to say since you weren't coming in with a full charge. You'll get at least 2 hours on a full charge, probably closer to 3? I've never had mine come close to running out from a single session, even when it's being passed around between Evie's cousins.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:02 am

So I set up the Link and thought something was wrong because Beat Saber was/is unplayable. Super laggy and can hardly navigate the menu screens, so it's unplayable this way. Checked some other PC based VR games, and so far they have all worked. Super Hot played flawlessly, as did Brass Tactics. I have Beat Saber through Steam, so I thought maybe that was the issue, so I tried The Lab on Link, which is also through Steam and that worked just fine too. Very strange, no idea why a single game is that bad when the rest work just fine.

I wanted Beat Saber on Quest anyway just so I can take it anywhere, so I pulled the trigger on re-buying it. 360 degree levels are really neat, but super hard.

Really liking the Quest so far. Kind of gives me a renewed enjoyment of VR. Even though the Rift didn't require THAT much set up, the Quest just seems much less cumbersome and I feel like I can jump in and play much more readily than I could with the Rift.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:15 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I pulled the trigger on re-buying it.

Wow. You must be rich or something.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Really liking the Quest so far. Kind of gives me a renewed enjoyment of VR. Even though the Rift didn't require THAT much set up, the Quest just seems much less cumbersome and I feel like I can jump in and play much more readily than I could with the Rift.

Agreed. It was never worth playing PC VR for 20 minutes, but I'll jump into the Quest a bit at night before settling onto the couch for the remainder of the night.

I actually brought my Quest to work today. I have a coworker in town who is a big outdoors guy so I want him to try my VR fishing game.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:09 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post So I set up the Link

Can you share the cable you bought? You are using it with your existing active USB extension right? I *think* I still have some of those, but may have given them all to KyleH when he bought my Rift.

I just ordered the aftermarket Vive headset and 3D printed parts to make it fit on like factory. I don't suspect I'll be using my Rift S if the comfort is as good as people say it is. The only reason I was keeping the Rift S is for PC VR because it feels so much better on the face than the Quest.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:34 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Can you share the cable you bought? You are using it with your existing active USB extension right? I *think* I still have some of those, but may have given them all to KyleH when he bought my Rift.

This is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZ ... UTF8&psc=1
I believe it was one of the "official" recommended ones from Oculus that I had seen on reddit or something. And yes, I kept one of my active USB extensions. Seems to work pretty well for the games I've played with it. I think I mentioned to you that for whatever reason desktop Beat Saber was unplayable via the Link for me. But I wanted that as a wireless Quest game anyway, so no worries.

Games I've played with quest are Super Hot, Asgard's Wrath, and The Lab. Every once in a while I had some glitchiness (especially with the bow & arrow game in The Lab), but for the most part they all worked well.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:53 pm

wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:42 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Might do this cable. 15 feet. $28
https://www.goquestvr.com/index.php/pro ... uest-link/

Yeah, that one would be better. The one thing I don't like about mine is that the end that plugs into the Quest is a straight plug instead of a 90° plug. That makes it stick out more and pull slightly to the side. It's not annoying enough for me to replace it, but if I were starting over, I'd do the 90° plug option.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:16 pm

I ordered the 15 foot cable.
I got my deluxe audio strap on Friday
Tomorrow I receive the 3D printed parts to put it all together.

Assuming the DAS is an improvement on comfort, I am listing my RIft S on Craigslist this week. I assume I will get no traction and will end up putting it on eBay in a week. I don't need 2 headsets when I do Quest 90% of the time over PC VR, especially since Quest can do PC now.

Wags, does your Quest charge while PC tethering? I read it varies a lot based on cable and PC.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:21 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Wags, does your Quest charge while PC tethering? I read it varies a lot based on cable and PC.

I think it does? I guess I've never explicitly checked, but I think I remember seeing the charging symbol come up while I'm tethered.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:45 pm

I finally got the update that auto switches between controller and hand tracking based on what the cameras see.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:08 pm

Evie approves of the deluxe audio strap just for the audio alone. I only wore it for a second so I can't comment on long term usage, but the balancing seems much better with it. It's very easy with the 3D printed parts. Just snaps together

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:41 am

My Quest has been very sluggish the past couple of months. Turning it on would take minutes and then I would need to toggle the power button half a dozen times to see anything show up. I did a factory reset and everything seems to be working good as new. I was dreading doing a factory reset because of all the games I have on and SideQuest, but it only took like 20 minutes to get everything as it was before. I did notice most games don't have cloud saves though, so I need to start from scratch on Angry Birds for example.

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”