Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

HBO's New Miniseries 'The Night Of' Is A Masterpiece

Discuss your favorite shows
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:20 am

After a night of partying with a female stranger, a man wakes up to find her stabbed to death and is charged with her murder.

Looks like it started last week. Only 8 episodes. I will check it out (eventually).
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:33 am

tylersucks wrote:Source of the post Richard Gere already did it....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119994/?re ... lmg_act_30

Eh, pretty woman was an okay movie.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:55 am

Saw this trailer before the last GoT. Looked good.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:12 am

I will probably watch this. I have it on my DVR to start
Wallinguana

Postby Wallinguana » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:54 am

episode 1

I watched the first episode. It is really good but should be called "The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Noz". He really just keeps fucking up and making himself look so guilty.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Night Of [HBO]

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:24 am

episode 1

This is a new show HBO put out recently. I watched the first episode last night (hour and 20 minutes), and this show is very intriguing. I watched without reading a synopsis, and this show gets a very race-driven vibe to it. The main character is Pakistani, but it shows the attitudes between whites and "Arabs" (even though he isn't), whites and black, black and "Arabs". Its interesting. Anyway, this actually has nothing to do with the show yet.

Basically, what happens, is this guy borrows his dad's taxi, but doesn't know how to shut off the 'TAXI' light, so a girl gets in the back. She asks him to take her somewhere, but end up going back to her place, doin' it, then falling asleep. Well, he wakes up and guess what. SHES SUPER MURDERED!!! AHHHH.

Well cops pick him up - Screwed. The creepy dude from Big Daddy is his lawyer. The acting is fantastic, story is very intriguing, even though the plot seems simple.

9.1 on IMDB - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2401256/
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Night Of [HBO]

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:43 am

GDI. Couldn't find it when I searched for it. Yo Mods, merge that shit.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:13 pm

episode 1

Watched the first episode tonight. I enjoyed it but it's such a stressful show to watch. I just want to reach into the TV and slap the shit out of Nas and yell "Don't fucking do that!"
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:26 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Watched the first episode tonight. I enjoyed it but it's such a stressful show to watch. I just want to reach into the TV and slap the shit out of Nas and yell "Don't fucking do that!"

Lol exactly. It's so stressful for him, and I get why he did most things, but man....he did it wrong.
megatron

Postby megatron » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:49 am

I try to imagine if I were in that situation... You wake up unsure of what went down that night and find her like that. What would you do?

I would hope that I would stay and call the cops right then but you're still pretty f'd from the get-go
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:32 pm

Second episode was good. Mostly around the lawyer this time and how it's his 'lucky break'. The detective wants to rail this guy so hard, and is kind of shady about doing it, but it always so nice and reserved about it.

This show is really interesting.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:28 am

More people should be watching this. It is very detailed with how the legal system works there, especially for those who cannot afford to pay, and the inmates, instead of the cartoony side of things like OitNB.

The scene with the prison protection guy. It's amazing how someone can be so calm and simultaneously offer protection and threaten to murder you all in one sentence.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:38 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post More people should be watching this.

Since I made Jocelyn watch Daredevil against her will I said she could pick the next show. I think she is interested in this.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:47 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post cwilkins88 wrote:
Source of the post More people should be watching this.

Since I made Jocelyn watch Daredevil against her will I said she could pick the next show. I think she is interested in this.

Yessssss.
Wallinguana

Postby Wallinguana » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:04 pm

I am really enjoying this show. There are so many directions it could go. He could be found guilty. He could get off but his reputation is ruined. He could be charged with grand theft auto. He could commit a crime in prison. Or they could go full To Kill a Mockingbird and just kill him in prison. I have no idea what to expect but my money isn't on a happy ending.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:08 am

Episode 1
I think Meg made a good point, you can try to put yourself in his shoes, but there are so many variables we can't factor in. Were the drugs impairing his ability to think rationally? Did he think there was no way he could explain this given how crazy everything else was leading up to it? Maybe he has no faith in other people and was worried he would be found guilty just because of his race. Having said all that, he really screwed himself by not calling the cops immediately.

Did anyone think he was actually going to work up the courage to just walk out of the police station? I thought with all of the pandemonium surrounding a murder the cops would just cut him loose, but the lady cop was hell bent on booking him. It was such a tense scene when she was doing the most thorough pat-down ever be shown on TV while the cops were talking over them about the murder. Timing was perfect when she found the knife as they were describing it. Even if she didn't find the knife, there was no way she was letting him leave once the eye witness clarified that the B&E suspect drove off in a taxi.

I have pieces of a theory.
The victim was clearly off her rocker. When she got in the taxi and said she wanted to go to the beach I got a "I'm going to end my own life there" kind of vibe. Maybe she decided she couldn't do it herself, but could trick this nice cab drive into aiding? She wanted more than just a one night stand from him the way she was feeding him drug. Noz would have slept with her sober. The knife/hand game seemed like it could have been calculated. Was she trying to work up to Noz playing it on her and stabbing her so there was evidence? I think it's clear she was not murdered with that specific knife because it was on the coffee table the whole time, but of course both their DNA is going to tell a different story. So who did stab her? I guess it could have been Noz with a different knife? She maybe asked him to do it? When he left the door was locked from the outside, but did it show her locking the door when they got there? Maybe someone walked in and locked the door on their way out?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:56 am

The knife was definitely there for evidence planting. But she was killed so brutally. There has to be someone else there or Noz did it.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:05 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post So who did stab her? I guess it could have been Noz with a different knife? She maybe asked him to do it? When he left the door was locked from the outside, but did it show her locking the door when they got there? Maybe someone walked in and locked the door on their way out?

When she let the cat out because of Noz's allergies the door was left open. They also really seemed to focus on the evil look the guy gave both of them as they were walking into the building and Noz was being called a terrorist.

Return to “Shows”