Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Tyler
Owner

Re: Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Tyler » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:08 am

Agreed. Seems like a great deal for him. He could bring it to the KT Warehouse and hook up a super long HDMI cable for the best roomscale ever.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:58 pm

I went to the mall over lunch even though Bmyoungs told me they didn't have any demo units out. I asked if I could have a demo and they said they packed them up since they are so understaffed for the holiday season. I asked about the $750 bundle and they didn't have it in store (their store is tiny). He said just to order it online because it's just as fast as if they would have ordered it. He also told me tomorrow is Microsoft's VR sale so I should wait at least until then just in case a better bundle goes on sale or if they discount it even more. He suggested I take a print screen of the current deal just in case something gets messed up though.

I guess I will order something tomorrow and go from there. I don't want to wait until BBY and then have their deal not be on.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:42 am

I got up at 11pm (because I'm asleep before that). The bundle is back to $750, but still OOS. They have $200 of the headsets alone tho if anyone is interested.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/c ... WMR_171212
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:34 pm

$200

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:31 pm

I need to completely wipe my PC in order to play with this because of a drive issue. Good news though, the PC I want is marked down to $400 at the Walmart closet to me. I'm ordering that now and picking up tomorrow.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:36 pm

It's so cute!
Surprised by the USB C on the front. No VGA (the blue one) anywhere. Will have to get a dongle for my parents monitor. Has Oculus stickers on it, like which USB ports to use for that.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:15 pm

Tyler wrote:It's so cute!
Surprised by the USB C on the front. No VGA (the blue one) anywhere. Will have to get a dongle for my parents monitor. Has Oculus stickers on it, like which USB ports to use for that.
Your dad will need so many dongles though for that USB C!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:07 pm

After many hours I finally got this working. I've been pretty impressed so far with the games I have tried. Now that it's all working it's going to be very easy to keep working.

I'm using Revive so it can play Oculus games too. I'm still having issues with that though.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:08 pm

My dad got the rig today. Setup was kind of a pain since he's old and what not. I hope he can figure it out and likes it!

It seems like once you get into a game WMR is good, but the menus are glitchy and load times are slow. That could also be the PC tho and not the headset.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:35 pm

Since plugging it in the other day my dad (and brother-in-law) have put a lot of hours into VR. I think he's figuring out the Windows vs Steam vs Oculus home/games. Revive us a 3rd party tool that allows Vive/WMR headsets play Oculus games. It works pretty well, but games often get hung up in the loading screen.

The most popular games so far with hours on each are:
Space Pirate Trainer
Gorn
HordeZ
Google Earth
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:36 am

The Samsung headset is $100 off right now, so same price as Rift at $400

Pretty great price for that resolution. The Vive pro has same resolution and will probably be $500 JUST for headset, no base stations or controllers.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:41 am

Looking forward to trying this out more over this weekend. My dad can't get Oculus games working on it but I know I can fix that.

There is a HUGE update coming in April that is adding haptics for Steam games and way better VRAM usage (big deal for my dad's 3gb cars). I wish this update would be live when I was visiting so I could help with that.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Re: Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Tyler » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:57 pm

Tyler wrote:Looking forward to trying this out more over this weekend. My dad can't get Oculus games working on it but I know I can fix that.

There is a HUGE update coming in April that is adding haptics for Steam games and way better VRAM usage (big deal for my dad's 3gb cars). I wish this update would be live when I was visiting so I could help with that.

Fixed. Got a couple Oculus games working that they never could before. Dead and buried, robo recall, brass tactics. I also got steamvr working better. Still not as seemless as my setup, but I paid 3x for my complete setup vs his.

Still eager to hear about the update fixes.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:25 am

My dad played his VR for the first time in a long time since he's been busy this summer. He forgot how to do everything so we had to do a video call to get it working. He said after the call everything was Rock solid. I'm impressed with the improvements and updates Windows have been doing with the headset.

He really likes the clip on headphones I got him. I wish there was a mic built in so we could play together tho, but he would rather play single player games anyways.

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”